The Student Room Group

emmanuella's study discussions #2: taking breaks

Hello everyone,
Welcome to the second thread from emmanuella's Study Discussions, led by @emm4nuella! In these threads, we will be talking and discussing all things to do with studying and revision, especially as exam season is looming! Today's thread is all about the importance of taking breaks!

I want to know how you take breaks whilst revising!! What do you do during your breaks, and what do you also think the importance of taking breaks are? Explain in as much or as little detail as you want :smile:!
Anyone and everyone can get involved! Looking forward to reading your answers :biggrin:!

GET INVOLVED WITH OTHER DISCUSSIONS :biggrin:: emmanuella's study discussions master thread :smile: - The Student Room
(edited 1 month ago)
I have initially tagged in some Grow your Grades bloggers - can't wait for your answers! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Breaks are very important for maintaining the quality of your revision, so I find them incredibly useful when revising to make sure that I can stay focused on my revision.
For me, breaks are the one thing that keeps my energy levels going when I study, especially if I have lots of revision to do. Usually I take a 20-25 mins break when I start feeling tired (so that would be around every 2 hours or so) and I take that time to watch something on netflix or youtube or if I'm feeling active I do some stretches and exercise.
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello everyone,
Welcome to the second thread from emmanuella's Study Discussions, led by @emm4nuella! In these threads, we will be talking and discussing all things to do with studying and revision, especially as exam season is looming! Today's thread is all about the importance of taking breaks!
I want to know how you take breaks whilst revising!! What do you do during your breaks, and what do you also think the importance of taking breaks are? Explain in as much or as little detail as you want :smile:!
Anyone and everyone can get involved! Looking forward to reading your answers :biggrin:!
GET INVOLVED WITH OTHER DISCUSSIONS :biggrin:: emmanuella's study discussions master thread :smile: - The Student Room

Definitely important to take breaks or you get extremely burnt out (me rn). I normally try and sit down for an hour to two hours working and then depends on my mood I’ll have like. 30 mins break or hour or two. Within the two hour work period I have mini breaks (like 45 mins ok, 5 mins get a drink have a walk, then 45 mins more).

Sometimes you need a day or two off altogether. I t try and get at least something done daily though
i think breaks are one of the most important things for anything you are doing, whether it's studying or it's exercise/gym, breaks are always important.
However, I actually try not to take breaks because if I'm doing well and in the flow of studying then taking a break completely ruins my concentration and I don't study well after that.
On my bad days where my concentration is almost non-existent then breaks really help, in which case my breaks are either; going on a walk, snacking/cooking, chatting to friends or just youtube/insta 🙂
oh hii,

for me breaks looks really different on different days,

most days it's just wandering around the house to go find my mother and chit chat for a bit, or filling my waterbottle then getting back to my desk, longer breaks i might watch some youtube or tv, eat something or take the dog on a walk or sometimes, i try to use interleaving so for taking a break from my revision for a chem test, i'll do some latin vocab or i'll do some bio recall taking a break from maths

if i'm taking a little break in school free-period study sessions, it'll be stretching and talking with friends or walking down to the common room (if i'm not already there lol)/toilet, or just staring out the window (our library has this view of the school field and it's lowkey stunning)
not gonna lie im terrible at having a good revision/life balance BUT when I do take breaks, I like to stretch my legs and move to a different room or go make a cup of tea/coffee !
Usually when I take breaks I watch an episode of a series currently I finished watching millionaire detective: balance unlimited
Each episode is usually around 20 minutes so I think it a good amount 🙏
Honestly, during breaks, I lay out of comfort on the floor. :biggrin:
Reply 10
Because I don't do well with structure I just study until I think I'm done tbh
Reply 11
Hello everyone,

In my experience breaks are way too abused, and some of us (myself included) have only used them as an excuse to procrastinate revision, especially in the build-up to exam season. Here's some advice I intend to stick by to.

Do not use your phone or pc during a break - nobody spends "just 10 minutes" on social media, and minutes turn to hours quick.

Don't make your breaks longer than your study sessions.

Don't have "rest days" after long periods of procrastination

Fix your sleep schedule if you haven't already - I've fallen into the trap of napping too often.

If you take a break, move away from your study environment. Go outside and touch grass for a bit.

If you just cannot figure something out when studying a subject, note it down (so you can try it later, or ask help from a teacher) and move onto a new subject.

This isn't to say taking breaks can be useful, especially at points where you're mentally drained.But a lot of us like to lie to ourselves that we're doing a good job by taking a break only after a short revision session.
Reply 12
Original post by jelllyfiiish
Honestly, during breaks, I lay out of comfort on the floor. :biggrin:

floor time so true!!
Reply 13
breaks are super important! I try to do something completely different and physical, like going for a quick lap of the corridor if I'm in school, or playing w my doggie. take breaks, take care of yourselves. :heart:
Hello everyone,

I wish I knew the importance of breaks when I was a student!! I definitely admit to not doing it as much as I'd be scared of wasting time when I could be studying... how wrong I was! Just getting outside and getting fresh air to clear my mind would have helped me take in the information a lot more. It's so important to take regular breaks, get out in nature, maybe invite your friend or family member along with you for a little catch up.

I love taking regular breaks now to do yoga and meditation, and reconnect with myself. I definitely notice a difference and would recommend exercise and/or meditation to students for their breaks!

Good luck to everyone taking their exams soon! You've got this :smile:

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending