The Student Room Group

Can I get into law with a social science degree?

I'd like to work as a corporate solicitor but study social science at university and do a law conversion course. Could I do this and if so, should I be honest to universities during personal statements, interviews etc about wanting to pursue law?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by mitya739
I'd like to work as a corporate solicitor but study social science at university and do a law conversion course. Could I do this and if so, should I be honest to universities during personal statements, interviews etc about wanting to pursue law?
Thanks!

If you want to study social sciences, you can still mention your interest in law, but I would refrain from making it the main focus of your personal statement, otherwise you may as well apply to study law. You can talk about your career ambitions, but make sure that you can demonstrate an interest in the subject you are actually applying to study. Unless you are applying to study HSPS at Cambridge (since Oxford doesn't offer a general social sciences BA or BSc), I don't think you will be interviewed for a course. If you are talking about job interviews, then yes, talk about wanting to study law after you complete your degree. You should also talk about how your social sciences degree has helped you develop skills needed to study and practice law, if you are applying to legal positions or schemes (e.g. training contracts, paralegal roles, pupillages).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending