The Student Room Group

I am so demotivated after getting a horrendous mock grades in y13

Hey guys,
I've been revising since September constantly every day for so long doing active recall, Anki, past papers etc. I improved in one of my subjects and went from C to a B. So in December mocks I got A*BC.

I only improved in one. Now come to this mock and for business (the C I got in) I got my mock back and ended up with a D. It's so demotivating because I revised so much and still ended up with a **** grade. It's so weird because my other mock that I did with another teacher I got an A* in but idk if it's just my teacher being insanely picky.

Idk what to do bc I would say I know my knowledge very well as I am always first to know the answer in class and even score the highest in practice questions.

I just feel like I'm gonna fail and I feel so alone whilst others in my class got an A. Now whenever I do exam questions I over think and feel like I'm doing everything wrong.

I really need ABB for Leicester University, **** a levels man I've had enoughhhh :frown:
Majority of teachers would not unnecessarily give you bad grades. No teacher wants to demotivate their students. I get it if some don't want to teach but they won't mark you harshly for no reason.

A good way to improve is to first accept that there is a problem, next is to know what the problem is? If you have a good knowledge of subject then the problem would be application of the knowledge. Sometimes the reason you get so much discrepancy is because you did past papers too many times and unconsciously learnt the mark scheme. So if teacher A gives a test based too similar to past papers you get a good score and when teacher B gives newer questions based on past papers but different board then your performance go down.

To resolve the issue you need to do 3 things: one go back to your teacher and ask how you can improve, two: go on YouTube and find a youtuber who is solving past papers for your subject. Look at multiple video for same paper if available. The reason it works better than marks scheme is that you see the thought process of the person as how they are assessing the question and how they are answering it. Three: buy a practice book, any would do, even if the question won't be exam standard you will some newer type of questions which might throw you off initially but would set you right in the end. You don't have to do a lot , just a few days.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Bubbnugg
Hey guys,
I've been revising since September constantly every day for so long doing active recall, Anki, past papers etc. I improved in one of my subjects and went from C to a B. So in December mocks I got A*BC.
I only improved in one. Now come to this mock and for business (the C I got in) I got my mock back and ended up with a D. It's so demotivating because I revised so much and still ended up with a **** grade. It's so weird because my other mock that I did with another teacher I got an A* in but idk if it's just my teacher being insanely picky.
Idk what to do bc I would say I know my knowledge very well as I am always first to know the answer in class and even score the highest in practice questions.
I just feel like I'm gonna fail and I feel so alone whilst others in my class got an A. Now whenever I do exam questions I over think and feel like I'm doing everything wrong.
I really need ABB for Leicester University, **** a levels man I've had enoughhhh :frown:

Hi @Bubbnugg

I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling demotivated because of the mock tests. I understand it can be so when you are working so hard.

I would really encourage you to speak to your teachers, they are the ones marking it and ask for more tips and advice. You still have time to build up your confidence by doing extra past papers and getting your teachers to mark them for you. Please remember that many students are going through the same thing you are going through, so don't feel alone in this.

Make sure to take breaks, reflect on your process and see what you could do differently.

Wishing you all the best and we are rooting for you to get the grades you need!!😁💪

Let me know if you have any questions 🤗

Sumayyah
Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience
Reply 3
Original post by University of Leicester
Hi @Bubbnugg
I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling demotivated because of the mock tests. I understand it can be so when you are working so hard.
I would really encourage you to speak to your teachers, they are the ones marking it and ask for more tips and advice. You still have time to build up your confidence by doing extra past papers and getting your teachers to mark them for you. Please remember that many students are going through the same thing you are going through, so don't feel alone in this.
Make sure to take breaks, reflect on your process and see what you could do differently.
Wishing you all the best and we are rooting for you to get the grades you need!!😁💪
Let me know if you have any questions 🤗
Sumayyah
Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience

Thank you so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest