Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have a university dilemma. you can only apply to either oxford or cambridge, not both, but which one should i apply to?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by BABYGUY)
    i have a university dilemma. you can only apply to either oxford or cambridge, not both, but which one should i apply to?
    Neither - the deadline for Oxbridge applications was October the 15th...unless you're starting early prep for applying next September?

ReputationRep:
    yes, i am thinking about it early, because i know if i dont i will end up applying for the wrong courses at teh wrong uni for me. advice is wel appreciated. i figured a lot of you would know more than me.

ReputationRep:
    oxford has the highest suicide rate so i have heard!

ReputationRep:
    lol. i will take that as a joke. (i hope)

ReputationRep:
    And what subject would this be for?

ReputationRep:
    thats the problem. i really am struggling. i know i will end up picking a subject that i think i may like, but will end up finding it boring. computer science, physics, perhaps economics. i dunno. i am leaning more to physics, 2ndly computer science, 3rdly economics. but i would appreiciate a bit of info on what these subjects are like, and which uni is best.

ReputationRep:
    thats the problem. i really am struggling. i know i will end up picking a subject that i think i may like, but will end up finding it boring. computer science, physics, perhaps economics. i dunno. i am leaning more to physics, 2ndly computer science, 3rdly economics. but i would appreiciate a bit of info on what these subjects are like, and which uni is best.
    Well which is your fav at AS level - also which are you best at because your obviously gonna need real good grades to get in.

ReputationRep:
    Its probably advisable to be sure of a subject before going any further. But what do I know...

ReputationRep:
    I am more or less sure i wanna do physics. but what is computer science like?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I am more or less sure i wanna do physics. but what is computer science like?
    Do you do Maths AS/A level? If not Computer science isn't really an option - maths is a higher requirement to most unis than computing A level.

ReputationRep:
    yes i am doing maths at the moment. i chose, maths, english literature, computing and physics. (ohh yes, and general studies lol). distance isnt really a mtter to me, because i live near the lake district. its a nice area, but for uni i was thinking of oxbridge. i ehard that oxford had a really nice city and it was more sociably friendly. if anyone goes to oxford, i would be pleased if you could advise me on what its like. thanks what sort of things do you do in computer science?

ReputationRep:
    yes i am doing maths at the moment. i chose, maths, english literature, computing and physics. (ohh yes, and general studies lol). distance isnt really a mtter to me, because i live near the lake district. its a nice area, but for uni i was thinking of oxbridge. i ehard that oxford had a really nice city and it was more sociably friendly. if anyone goes to oxford, i would be pleased if you could advise me on what its like. thanks what sort of things do you do in computer science?
    Physics is a very well respected degree...you will need v.good grades to get into oxford / cambridge though.

ReputationRep:
    i know. but my teacher says that i should "walk" getting straight A's at A-Level, i didnt beleive her. what would be better for me, physics or computer science? i heard that computer science isnt very good for future job prospects? is this true. i didnt think it was true, but i figured that you people would be more educated to tell me teh reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    Physics is a very well respected degree...you will need v.good grades to get into oxford / cambridge though.
    oxford's standard offer is AAB. which may or may not be 'v. good' depending on your standards.
    if you want to do physics, go for oxford. you actually do 100% physics rather than having to mess about with other subjects (as with cams natsci)

ReputationRep:
    cheers edders. yes, i heard about that. thats why i am liking oxford the more at the moment, because i heard its a better city for socializing etc...and i heard about the courses. thing is, i dont know what computer science is like, because obviously you dont do it at A-Level. i think i would do one of the two at oxford. i have heard good things about oxford. can i apply for both comp.science and physics at oxford, or can i only apply for one course at oxford? i know you cant apply to both oxford and cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    oxford's standard offer is AAB. which may or may not be 'v. good' depending on your standards.
    if you want to do physics, go for oxford. you actually do 100% physics rather than having to mess about with other subjects (as with cams natsci)
    Yes but if you're unsure of waht subject to do then camb natsci is much better... its like the pick and mix of all scientific uni courses.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    cheers edders. yes, i heard about that. thats why i am liking oxford the more at the moment, because i heard its a better city for socializing etc...and i heard about the courses. thing is, i dont know what computer science is like, because obviously you dont do it at A-Level. i think i would do one of the two at oxford. i have heard good things about oxford. can i apply for both comp.science and physics at oxford, or can i only apply for one course at oxford? i know you cant apply to both oxford and cambridge
    If you're thikninf about comp sci but completely in the dark about what it involves it would probably be worth your while getting hold of a cheap computer and installing a unix based OS...and at the same time having a play about with programming languages.

I did a "with comp sci" course (for all of 5 months) and found the switch to unix based systems/thinking to be the most unexpected (and IMO worst) aspect of the CS course....and I also found out that I'm not a natural programmer (I can write/plan algorithms till they come out of my ears but I find converting algorithms into code far too frustrating).

ReputationRep:
    If you do a straight forward computer science degree don't expect to earn much when you go into employment. I know several people with such degrees from 'top' universities and they are all earning less than 15K a year. I myself work in the IT industry and so am all too aware of the lack of pay. To make matters worse, the knowledge and skills you are expected to have are stupid for the money you are paided.

ReputationRep:
    nice point, but it seems oxford is a better uni than cambridge. most of you in here are very intelligent, respectful people, and from looking at that list, all of the A Grade students mainly go to oxford, a couple to london.......i definitely want to go to oxford. can i apply for both computer science and physics at oxford, so if i dont get one i might get an offer for the other?......thanks for helping guys.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.