The Student Room Group

SFE plans and repayment

Hi there,

I have done some research into student loans and come to some understandings on how the loans are paid off depending on which plan you are on. I have got an offer for a postgraduate vocational course which is £9250 per year. I would also be going back to my old university which offers 20 percent discount on these fees.

I have read that vocational courses such as Occupational Therapy (MSc) is eligible for another full undergraduate funding of £9250 per year even though it is a postgraduate course. In this case, I was confused on what plan this could put me on as it depends on whether the loan is regarded as postgraduate or undergraduate.

If it still counts as undergraduate funding, would this mean that it adds on to my existing plan 2 from my undergraduate degree (wiped in 30 years and threshold of £27295 with 9% over)? or as I am applying for 2024, does it apply towards the undergraduate plan 5 loan (wiped in 40 years and threshold of £25000 with 9% over)? I believe plan 5 is suited more towards new students rather than existing holders otherwise I would have 2 plans for one undergraduate repayment, however I am unsure.

And similarly if the loan is considered postgraduate since the degree is a masters, would I have to pay towards 2 plans if my income is over both thresholds?

Depending on how this would be considered, it may be easier for me to self fund the course to avoid having to repay towards two plans and just stick to plan 2 without opening any other plans.
I am not sure how the NHS grant works but I am aware that this could also help pay the tuition fees if possible to do so.

Please let me know your thoughts on this and if anyone else has experienced similar.

Thankyou.
Original post by VioletBee
Hi there,
I have done some research into student loans and come to some understandings on how the loans are paid off depending on which plan you are on. I have got an offer for a postgraduate vocational course which is £9250 per year. I would also be going back to my old university which offers 20 percent discount on these fees.
I have read that vocational courses such as Occupational Therapy (MSc) is eligible for another full undergraduate funding of £9250 per year even though it is a postgraduate course. In this case, I was confused on what plan this could put me on as it depends on whether the loan is regarded as postgraduate or undergraduate.
If it still counts as undergraduate funding, would this mean that it adds on to my existing plan 2 from my undergraduate degree (wiped in 30 years and threshold of £27295 with 9% over)? or as I am applying for 2024, does it apply towards the undergraduate plan 5 loan (wiped in 40 years and threshold of £25000 with 9% over)? I believe plan 5 is suited more towards new students rather than existing holders otherwise I would have 2 plans for one undergraduate repayment, however I am unsure.
And similarly if the loan is considered postgraduate since the degree is a masters, would I have to pay towards 2 plans if my income is over both thresholds?
Depending on how this would be considered, it may be easier for me to self fund the course to avoid having to repay towards two plans and just stick to plan 2 without opening any other plans.
I am not sure how the NHS grant works but I am aware that this could also help pay the tuition fees if possible to do so.
Please let me know your thoughts on this and if anyone else has experienced similar.
Thankyou.

Hi Violet,

For this query we will need you to contact our repayments department but they are not available on here. If you prefer to communicate to them via chat then you can message them on Twitter https://twitter.com/messages/compose?recipient_id=806835849916719104 or Facebook http://m.me/SLCRepayment - alternatively they are also available on the phone, their number is 0300 100 0611. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending