The Student Room Group

Economics And Management

Hello!! I’m planning to apply for Economics And Management courses at Unis like Oxford, KCL, Bristol with offers ranging from AAA-A*AA. Although I’m aware that if I’m predicted A*AA or A*A*A I match the requirements, I still wonder if that’ll be enough, knowing these courses are extremely competitive. Is A*AA good enough? And also, I may take on further maths in year 13 (currently I do English Literature, Economics And Mathematics), but is it worth doing further maths if I’m likely to be predicted an A or B, not an A* ? I believe I’ll be predicted A* In Mathematics and A/A* in Economics, then A in English. Though I may drop English to pick up Further Maths instead of doing all four.

Is this wise? And do I stand a chance at top unis ??

Also, how do I become a competitive applicant? I’m planning on entering an essay competition, I have valuable work experience and I’m going to include 3 books and one research project in my personal statement. What else can I do?

(Another question: how much does AS levels matter. Would it be bad if I got AAB?. I have really good GCSE GPA)
Original post by lili__1
Hello!! I’m planning to apply for Economics And Management courses at Unis like Oxford, KCL, Bristol with offers ranging from AAA-A*AA. Although I’m aware that if I’m predicted A*AA or A*A*A I match the requirements, I still wonder if that’ll be enough, knowing these courses are extremely competitive. Is A*AA good enough? And also, I may take on further maths in year 13 (currently I do English Literature, Economics And Mathematics), but is it worth doing further maths if I’m likely to be predicted an A or B, not an A* ? I believe I’ll be predicted A* In Mathematics and A/A* in Economics, then A in English. Though I may drop English to pick up Further Maths instead of doing all four.
Is this wise? And do I stand a chance at top unis ??
Also, how do I become a competitive applicant? I’m planning on entering an essay competition, I have valuable work experience and I’m going to include 3 books and one research project in my personal statement. What else can I do?
(Another question: how much does AS levels matter. Would it be bad if I got AAB?. I have really good GCSE GPA)
Most successful applicants at Oxford's E+M course have further maths, so it may be difficult to put in a competitive application without it. But I'm unsure of how they view AS FM vs A-level FM, so I can't say whether just doing AS FM would be enough.

A*A*A or A*AA should be enough at KCL/Bristol, though entrance into the former is made a lot more difficult due to the number of international students wanting to study in London.

Have done/are doing an EPQ? This is a good way to demonstrate independent research skills in a topic relevant to your university subject choice. Ultimately, universities have to use certain (somewhat flawed) signals of intelligence in their admissions process, and they favour some over others. So things like essay comps, EPQ's, economics challenges, etc will carry far more favour than a few weeks of work experience at a bank nowadays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending