The Student Room Group

Help choosing a degree

I dropped out of Biomedical Science last year after getting a space through clearing and decided to resit my A levels. I reapplied and got an offer for Bristol to do physiological science which I thought was like my dream uni and course, I got a contextual offer too which I didn't for any of the other unis I applied for. But I've recently realised I want to do paramedic science, which would mean reapplying again next January a third time. I'm not sure what to do cause Bristol's such a good uni and I really do wanna go, but I'm almost certain I've decided on paramedic as a career now and doing that degree would be pointless. The contextual offer I got from Bristol is the same as most unis for paramedic science, which doesn't help my decision as unis doing paramedic science are quite low ranking to Bristol. Can someone give me an opinion on this before I do something stupid and withdraw from my offer. THANK YOU
Original post by charlotte0589
I dropped out of Biomedical Science last year after getting a space through clearing and decided to resit my A levels. I reapplied and got an offer for Bristol to do physiological science which I thought was like my dream uni and course, I got a contextual offer too which I didn't for any of the other unis I applied for. But I've recently realised I want to do paramedic science, which would mean reapplying again next January a third time. I'm not sure what to do cause Bristol's such a good uni and I really do wanna go, but I'm almost certain I've decided on paramedic as a career now and doing that degree would be pointless. The contextual offer I got from Bristol is the same as most unis for paramedic science, which doesn't help my decision as unis doing paramedic science are quite low ranking to Bristol. Can someone give me an opinion on this before I do something stupid and withdraw from my offer. THANK YOU

Forget about university rankings, they don't matter at the best of times but they particularly don't matter within healthcare.

If you want to do paramedic science, then it makes little sense to study something else. However, you have a bit of a history of changing your mind on what you want to study so I would think really long and hard before deciding what you want to do. You realistically have until August/early September, when you have to enrol into your university, to decide what you want to do next year, so I'd be pondering and researching paramedic science until then before you make your decision. Don't rush!
Do you have any relevant work experience for Paramedic Science.
You will need to have any chance at all of getting a place as its mega-competitive and you will be up against adults changing careers, already working in the NHS etc.
Reply 3
I'm sitting my a levels this year and i have 4 offers to study paramedic science and i have done A LOT of research on the course. As the person said above, yes it is very competitive but it is not entirely necessary to have healthcare linked experience. I have no healthcare experience however i have experience working for the owner of a local charity. I feel as long as you show that you can link it to the characteristics and qualities you need to become a paramedic i think its okay. Plus, it doesn't matter at all which uni you go to - i know they're all relatively low ranking but at the end of the day whichever uni you go to you'll come out with the same end result as a newly qualified paramedic. In terms of if you should do it, if you're FOR SURE certain its what you wanna do then definitley go for it because from what ive heard, everyone who does it loves their job and its a super rewarding career. On the other hand, if you get the degree and change your mind, its difficult to use the degree elsewhere as it is such a specific degree. There is other things to do such as working in a GP but in general its all the same idea. I say go for it
Original post by ellxeeee
I'm sitting my a levels this year and i have 4 offers to study paramedic science and i have done A LOT of research on the course. As the person said above, yes it is very competitive but it is not entirely necessary to have healthcare linked experience. I have no healthcare experience however i have experience working for the owner of a local charity. I feel as long as you show that you can link it to the characteristics and qualities you need to become a paramedic i think its okay. Plus, it doesn't matter at all which uni you go to - i know they're all relatively low ranking but at the end of the day whichever uni you go to you'll come out with the same end result as a newly qualified paramedic. In terms of if you should do it, if you're FOR SURE certain its what you wanna do then definitley go for it because from what ive heard, everyone who does it loves their job and its a super rewarding career. On the other hand, if you get the degree and change your mind, its difficult to use the degree elsewhere as it is such a specific degree. There is other things to do such as working in a GP but in general its all the same idea. I say go for it

Thank you so much, it being so competitive was my main worry. I don't know how it would come across to the unis with it being my third time applying and I don't wanna seem super indecisive (which is fair but I'm definitely certain abt becoming a paramedic). I'm hoping I can get a lot of experience after A levels cause I won't have to apply until January. I'm thinking doing a first aid course, volunteering in a medical setting abroad and volunteering in a charity like you, so hopefully that's enough. I think I have a good backstory in applying as well, like I went from biomed, to physiological science then to paramedic science (which from looking at the course is quite similar but more practical), so it all kind of led me to this. My boyfriend's doing a paramedic apprenticeship and I got to see him work on a cardiac arrest off duty the other week which made me realise this is what I wanna do, I just need to find a way to word all that in a personal statement. Good luck in your A levels too! Can I ask what universities you applied for? :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you so much, it being so competitive was my main worry. I don't know how it would come across to the unis with it being my third time applying and I don't wanna seem super indecisive (which is fair but I'm definitely certain abt becoming a paramedic). I'm hoping I can get a lot of experience after A levels cause I won't have to apply until January. I'm thinking doing a first aid course, volunteering in a medical setting abroad and volunteering in a charity like you, so hopefully that's enough. I think I have a good backstory in applying as well, like I went from biomed, to physiological science then to paramedic science (which from looking at the course is quite similar but more practical), so it all kind of led me to this. My boyfriend's doing a paramedic apprenticeship and I got to see him work on a cardiac arrest off duty the other week which made me realise this is what I wanna do, I just need to find a way to word all that in a personal statement. Good luck in your A levels too! Can I ask what universities you applied for? :smile:

It it competitive yes, but definitely achievable. There is a few mature students when i went for my interviews so honestly i'm not too sure they'd be worried about you reapplying to a different course especially as they're relevant but i cant really comment on that as i'm only 18 and its my first time applying hahah. That experience will 1000% help with your application though as some people wont have any relevant experience.
I applied to surrey, UEA, uwe, st georges and northampton. Im 99% sure im going to firm uea as i liked the uni when i went but cant make a decision yet as i haven't heard back from northampton. Have u considered doing the apprenticeship? Honestley i havent looked into it one bit lol i probably should've but i think uni is more for me
Thank you!!! You too 🙂
I looked at doing the apprenticeship but it's so competitive and too risky, my boyfriend was the youngest in his class (19) and everyone else had experience and was about 25-30. I think he only got in as he did work with the ambulance before and was changing career from a police officer. It would be way nicer cause you actually get paid for shifts instead of doing placements at uni and paying 9k a year but then you don't get the uni experience soo.
I went to Surrey last year for biomed and it's such a nice uni, I knew some people on the paramedic science course and they all love it. Hoping you get the offer at northampton but if you don't can't say I recommend it as I live round here and can't imagine moving by choice haha. I'm hoping to apply to uwe and ST George's as well tho :smile:
Reply 7
I looked at doing the apprenticeship but it's so competitive and too risky, my boyfriend was the youngest in his class (19) and everyone else had experience and was about 25-30. I think he only got in as he did work with the ambulance before and was changing career from a police officer. It would be way nicer cause you actually get paid for shifts instead of doing placements at uni and paying 9k a year but then you don't get the uni experience soo.
I went to Surrey last year for biomed and it's such a nice uni, I knew some people on the paramedic science course and they all love it. Hoping you get the offer at northampton but if you don't can't say I recommend it as I live round here and can't imagine moving by choice haha. I'm hoping to apply to uwe and ST George's as well tho :smile:

Ahhh ive randomly been having a doubt today overthinking wether i should go to uea or surrey, i havent visited surrey but out of all my other options uea was my fave and ive had my eyes on uea since i interviewed there but im quite a social person and im not sure how social uea is.
St georges offered me BBB but i really didn't personally like the uni - i might put it as my insurance and then go through clearing (if i dont get grades for UEA) because honestly i cant see myself there at all.
I probably would've gone to uwe however they offered me february start and i know somebody who started paramedic science in february and she said she wouldnt recommend it ☹️
Tbh id hate to be the youngest in the class especially if most people are 30 but the pay is a bonus lol.
you should defo check out Surrey if you can, I only left because of the course but the uni's great. I'm pretty sure Surrey's the best uni for paramedic science, and aside from that from what I've seen of people I knew doing the course everyone in the class this year was so nice and genuinely looked like they were enjoying it if that makes any sense. I know there's a whole conception abt Surrey being terrible for nightlife and as a social uni but I honestly thought it was good (but I could be wrong considering I haven't been to a big city uni so maybe it is bad compared to those). The only advice I'd give you is the housing situation is pretty terrible hahah, if you go through clearing you're really unlikely to get accom and it's pretty hard finding housing for second and third year if you leave it too late.
Reply 9
you should defo check out Surrey if you can, I only left because of the course but the uni's great. I'm pretty sure Surrey's the best uni for paramedic science, and aside from that from what I've seen of people I knew doing the course everyone in the class this year was so nice and genuinely looked like they were enjoying it if that makes any sense. I know there's a whole conception abt Surrey being terrible for nightlife and as a social uni but I honestly thought it was good (but I could be wrong considering I haven't been to a big city uni so maybe it is bad compared to those). The only advice I'd give you is the housing situation is pretty terrible hahah, if you go through clearing you're really unlikely to get accom and it's pretty hard finding housing for second and third year if you leave it too late.

Ah thank you! Whats your top choice for paramedic science do you think?
I'm thinking St George's or Hertfordshire. I want to go with uwe too but I've heard lots of people get february starts like you so not sure it's worth applying ☹️ How come you decided you didn't want to go to St George's? I haven't visited it yet so I'm just going by what I can find online haha
I'm thinking St George's or Hertfordshire. I want to go with uwe too but I've heard lots of people get february starts like you so not sure it's worth applying ☹️ How come you decided you didn't want to go to St George's? I haven't visited it yet so I'm just going by what I can find online haha

I just personally don't think its for me. I want to experience the 'uni life' and i just feel like i wouldn't there as the area its based in isn't particularly nice and it's obviously going to be expensive as its in London. Maybe this would be good for you as i guess you've already experienced university and this is what you have decided you for sure want to do now but the area and the whole vibe i just got from the uni wasn't for me especially as i'm quite a social person and enjoy going out from time to time. But anyways it is a great medical school so no doubt the education would be great, just personal preference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending