The Student Room Group

Cambridge medicine without maths?

Hi, I was wondering how likely it is to get into medicine without an A-level in maths?

The A-levels I do are:
Biology
Chemistry
Psychology
Sociology (AS)

Chemistry is my weakest A-level but I'm going to put effort into getting an A* since most unis seem to require chem A-level. Naturally I'm not very -oriented (6 in maths), but I do read a lot of STEM supercurriculars and I'm hoping if I show that I'm still science-focused without being too maths focused they won't mind too much.
Unfortunately you need Chemistry and two other Maths or Science subjects (Psychology is not included). Your application will not be competitive and you are unlikely to be interviewed.

It also doesn't make much difference as to where you study Medicine, so would be advisable to consider applying elsewhere instead.
Do you think Oxford would see things differently - Ik they're seen as the more humanities of the two but I still dk if they'd be more lenient exactly
Reply 3
Original post by Rageshhhh
Do you think Oxford would see things differently - Ik they're seen as the more humanities of the two but I still dk if they'd be more lenient exactly

they won't mind as much as they don't say that you need all 3 to be sciences so you're fine

Oxford don't care other than bio and chem a levels
Original post by Anonymous
Oxford don't care other than bio and chem a levels

Thanks - this is for a friend not me. I have the opposite problem in terms of my supercurriculars but that's for another time.
Reply 6
Thanks - this is for a friend not me. I have the opposite problem in terms of my supercurriculars but that's for another time.

Yes Oxford does not care what your 3rd subject is, BUT they use GCSE grades to select for interview, so realistically, unless you have all 9s or at least mostly 9s, you are not getting in. Please make your friend aware.

Cambridge is the only medical school that requires 3 STEM subjects at A-level; all others don't mind what your third subject is at all (with the exception of UCLan and I want to say Leeds? Which just require it be "academic", which all of your subjects are).

So just apply to literally any other medical school(s) in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending