The Student Room Group

GCSE help!!

I didn't do well in the march mach . Is there any way to revise for rs, geography and business? thanks!
For geography you really need to make sure you know your case studies and information that differentiates them from any other place. You could do this through making flashcards or mind maps, or anything else that uses active recall.

For RS, I like to make mind maps on each of the topics and then make flashcards getting the key knowledge. I find that I do not need to revise the evaluation side of it, but you might so if that is the case then I would recommend giving your opinion on key scholars points as well.

I have never done business, so unfortunately I can't really help you with that :frown:
Original post by Sumikko
I didn't do well in the march mach . Is there any way to revise for rs, geography and business? thanks!

for rs I got a 9 last year and I did flashcards for all of the content but it took a while to make. With this long left I would recommend
- blurting topics
-flashcards of key quotes
-plan answers for the big question
Geography I can’t speak for because I do history however I can speak about business.

I do EDEXCEL business so keep in mind that this might not apply if this is not the exam board you do.

First off, the paper is out of 90, to get a 9 you have to get about 70/90 on both papers so make sure you answer EVERY SINGLE QUESTION, trust me choosing to skip the 12 markers because they can be too long can drop you lots of marks, writing something is better than nothing.

Don’t stress to much about business trust me if you have good memory (and even if you don’t) the content is quite easy to understand so just try and read through your notes or revision guide and incorporate business terminology when you’re writing, never go straight to lower profits or business failure because there are different factors that would be involved so you could lose marks , try to be more specific and use phrases/words like: liquidity problems, insolvency, staff retention, increased market share, diluted ownership (in terms of public limited companies), limited liability/unlimited liability etc.

For the maths/ calculation questions it won’t be much of a hard time just know the business calculations.

This is general advice now you don’t have to take it if you were taught differently but when writting your 3 markers use the BLT structure (because Leads to therefore). Your three markers will only appear in section A meaning no context is required, simply show off your knowledge and make sure you are giving 2/3 development points.

In your 6 markers do the same but you have to add a point before each so Point, because , Leads to , Therefore (x2) and usually provide a negative and positive for the question. The 6 marker in section A requires no context but in the rest it does. Your six marker needs 5 development points so to be safe my teacher always tells us to write 2 paragraphs because then you are ensured to get into the top band for that question (5/6 marks)

For 9/12 markers do the same but with a conclusion [AJIM - (overall) Argument , Justify , It depends upon , most important factor]. These questions is were you MUST keep everything you write in context as in keep it in relation to the case study. By this I mean instead of writing “product” write what they sell for example “cakes” or “bikes” etc and instead of writing something like “gives the business a competitive advantage in their industry” write gives (business name) a competitive advantage in the (their industry- eg manufacturing industry, fast food industry…)

!quick advice - using anything they mention in the question is not context!

This might be confusing at first but to make it easier do PICS when you are reading your case study, write down on the case study the product of the business, their industry (sometimes they don’t mention so you have to make an inference), their competitors ,if named, and the scenario - for example if they are looking to expand overseas etc and in this case you can talk about tariffs and import/export costs but remember IN TERMS OF THE BUSINESS. If the firm cannot afford it because they are a sole trader or something mention it. Don’t underestimate how much context is worth in section B and C, make sure you add it in every single question even if it repeats from the last question you wrote.

TLDR:

Overall - use business terminology & the BLT structure, know ur content like the back of ur hand and learn calculation equations.

Section A - knowledge but don’t jump straight to business failure/ increased profits.
Section B&C - Knowledge in context.
Reply 4
Original post by unequivocal
Geography I can’t speak for because I do history however I can speak about business.
I do EDEXCEL business so keep in mind that this might not apply if this is not the exam board you do.
First off, the paper is out of 90, to get a 9 you have to get about 70/90 on both papers so make sure you answer EVERY SINGLE QUESTION, trust me choosing to skip the 12 markers because they can be too long can drop you lots of marks, writing something is better than nothing.
Don’t stress to much about business trust me if you have good memory (and even if you don’t) the content is quite easy to understand so just try and read through your notes or revision guide and incorporate business terminology when you’re writing, never go straight to lower profits or business failure because there are different factors that would be involved so you could lose marks , try to be more specific and use phrases/words like: liquidity problems, insolvency, staff retention, increased market share, diluted ownership (in terms of public limited companies), limited liability/unlimited liability etc.
For the maths/ calculation questions it won’t be much of a hard time just know the business calculations.
This is general advice now you don’t have to take it if you were taught differently but when writting your 3 markers use the BLT structure (because Leads to therefore). Your three markers will only appear in section A meaning no context is required, simply show off your knowledge and make sure you are giving 2/3 development points.
In your 6 markers do the same but you have to add a point before each so Point, because , Leads to , Therefore (x2) and usually provide a negative and positive for the question. The 6 marker in section A requires no context but in the rest it does. Your six marker needs 5 development points so to be safe my teacher always tells us to write 2 paragraphs because then you are ensured to get into the top band for that question (5/6 marks)
For 9/12 markers do the same but with a conclusion [AJIM - (overall) Argument , Justify , It depends upon , most important factor]. These questions is were you MUST keep everything you write in context as in keep it in relation to the case study. By this I mean instead of writing “product” write what they sell for example “cakes” or “bikes” etc and instead of writing something like “gives the business a competitive advantage in their industry” write gives (business name) a competitive advantage in the (their industry- eg manufacturing industry, fast food industry…)
!quick advice - using anything they mention in the question is not context!
This might be confusing at first but to make it easier do PICS when you are reading your case study, write down on the case study the product of the business, their industry (sometimes they don’t mention so you have to make an inference), their competitors ,if named, and the scenario - for example if they are looking to expand overseas etc and in this case you can talk about tariffs and import/export costs but remember IN TERMS OF THE BUSINESS. If the firm cannot afford it because they are a sole trader or something mention it. Don’t underestimate how much context is worth in section B and C, make sure you add it in every single question even if it repeats from the last question you wrote.
TLDR:
Overall - use business terminology & the BLT structure, know ur content like the back of ur hand and learn calculation equations.
Section A - knowledge but don’t jump straight to business failure/ increased profits.
Section B&C - Knowledge in context.

thank you for the details on how to answer exam questions! I will practice writing BLT and AJIM! Really appreciate it cos I never knew how to structure a 9 markers!
Reply 5
Original post by flowersinmyhair
For geography you really need to make sure you know your case studies and information that differentiates them from any other place. You could do this through making flashcards or mind maps, or anything else that uses active recall.
For RS, I like to make mind maps on each of the topics and then make flashcards getting the key knowledge. I find that I do not need to revise the evaluation side of it, but you might so if that is the case then I would recommend giving your opinion on key scholars points as well.
I have never done business, so unfortunately I can't really help you with that :frown:
Thanks! I will try that !
Reply 6
Original post by saffronarora
for rs I got a 9 last year and I did flashcards for all of the content but it took a while to make. With this long left I would recommend
- blurting topics
-flashcards of key quotes
-plan answers for the big question

congrats on getting a 9 ! I can never get it. I will revise like that from now on too .
Original post by Sumikko
congrats on getting a 9 ! I can never get it. I will revise like that from now on too .

i used flashcards as well and got an A* (NI course). Apps like knowunity or quizlet might help you, because other peoples flashcards will be there so u can use them. the other ways work as well though! 🙂 also im not sure if rs is tough for time in the english boards, but if it is, maybe do some past papers to check you can get the paper finished? we have a lot of time pressure so i did that, but if you think you'll be ok, thats fine!
Original post by youaresolovedd
i used flashcards as well and got an A* (NI course). Apps like knowunity or quizlet might help you, because other peoples flashcards will be there so u can use them. the other ways work as well though! 🙂 also im not sure if rs is tough for time in the english boards, but if it is, maybe do some past papers to check you can get the paper finished? we have a lot of time pressure so i did that, but if you think you'll be ok, thats fine!

i also do geography and havent dropped a single mark in it since 2nd year! Our teacher gives us an A3 sheet and we use those to summarise each booklet (8 total). The case studies are important and hard to waffle so learning those off very well is important. I made notes for all my booklets over the 2 years, but again Knowunity is good for notes if you don't have them. Blurting is the best technique for like any subject in my opinion, and a good geography blurt is never a waste of time. Good luck!! 🙂
Reply 9
Thanks, everyone! I have started my revision and hopefully, it will work for me too!
Original post by Sumikko
Thanks, everyone! I have started my revision and hopefully, it will work for me too!

Wish you the best of luck!!
Original post by Sumikko

good luck!! 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest