The Student Room Group

How to revise

For essay based subjects and science subjects
Reply 1
I literally typed a whole reply and then it deleted ://
Basically what I suggest for science (as an a level chemistry student):

Make sure you have a detailed and full set of notes that aren't just a copy of a textbook, but that use multiple resources for your exam board, and have notes that you have made to make sure you remember the stuff really well. Also make sure you file your notes by topic so you can always refer back to them if you need to, and so you don't have to keep remaking them like me lol. Also, when you come across stuff you don't understand when making notes, always make sure that you go over it until you do - generally I find a YouTube video to explain it and take a separate page of notes on the bit I don't get- for chemistry I reccomend Allerychemistry or organic chemistrytutor but idk which one you take

Exam questions by topic- this is one of the most helpful revision tools- it gets you used to the style of the exam questions and is a good way to focus on the ares you find hardest- I get mine of revisely and physicsandmathstutor

Flashcards- definitions are a crucial part of science A levels and can often make the difference between a grade in the actual exam, so make sure you now these really well- I make mine on my laptop with Anki :smile:

PAST PAPERS- the most important part of revision- start off not timing yourself, but eventually do timed papers to make sure you can actually compete the paper because every single mark counts!!!! This also gets you used to the style of the questions which is good because they generally use the same format every year.
I hope this is helpful- obviously everyone learns differently but I hope you can find some use from these tips as this is how I've studied for the past two years and I am one of the top in my class.

For essays, I take music A level, which can be different essay wise to say English or something, but the most helpful thing I've done is timed essays to make sure I can fit everything I want to in the right time frame :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by madsr1

Make sure you have a detailed and full set of notes that aren't just a copy of a textbook, but that use multiple resources for your exam board, and have notes that you have made to make sure you remember the stuff really well. Also make sure you file your notes by topic so you can always refer back to them if you need to, and so you don't have to keep remaking them like me lol. Also, when you come across stuff you don't understand when making notes, always make sure that you go over it until you do - generally I find a YouTube video to explain it and take a separate page of notes on the bit I don't get- for chemistry I reccomend Allerychemistry or organic chemistrytutor but idk which one you take

Exam questions by topic- this is one of the most helpful revision tools- it gets you used to the style of the exam questions and is a good way to focus on the ares you find hardest- I get mine of revisely and physicsandmathstutor

Flashcards- definitions are a crucial part of science A levels and can often make the difference between a grade in the actual exam, so make sure you now these really well- I make mine on my laptop with Anki :smile:

PAST PAPERS- the most important part of revision- start off not timing yourself, but eventually do timed papers to make sure you can actually compete the paper because every single mark counts!!!! This also gets you used to the style of the questions which is good because they generally use the same format every year.
I hope this is helpful- obviously everyone learns differently but I hope you can find some use from these tips as this is how I've studied for the past two years and I am one of the top in my class.

For essays, I take music A level, which can be different essay wise to say English or something, but the most helpful thing I've done is timed essays to make sure I can fit everything I want to in the right time frame :smile:

What if you don't have time for making notes. Im in GCSE and I don't have time for it anymore
Reply 3
Original post by tatsyy
What if you don't have time for making notes. Im in GCSE and I don't have time for it anymore

I'd say then maybe write a list of everything that you really don't understand or struggle with and specifically take a set of notes onthose- good resources for gcse are probably more generally your textbook if you have it or freesciencelessons.com where there isa YouTube video for all the subsection in the science topics, if you want science more specifically- also primrose kitten has reallygreat, although long, videos which I would definitely reccomend. And if you feel your taking too long making notes then don't putmassive detail on to them- maybe watch a video on taking quick but effective notes? Also use ready made flashcard sets to savetime- there will be tons on quizlet but if you need me to I can link some resources. Hope this is helpful!!
Reply 4
Original post by madsr1
I'd say then maybe write a list of everything that you really don't understand or struggle with and specifically take a set of notes onthose- good resources for gcse are probably more generally your textbook if you have it or freesciencelessons.com where there isa YouTube video for all the subsection in the science topics, if you want science more specifically- also primrose kitten has reallygreat, although long, videos which I would definitely reccomend. And if you feel your taking too long making notes then don't putmassive detail on to them- maybe watch a video on taking quick but effective notes? Also use ready made flashcard sets to savetime- there will be tons on quizlet but if you need me to I can link some resources. Hope this is helpful!!

Helps a lot! Do you have any creditible flashcard sources.
My sciences are Chemistry-AQA Bio-OCR Physics-Edexcel
Reply 5
Original post by tatsyy
Helps a lot! Do you have any creditible flashcard sources.
My sciences are Chemistry-AQA Bio-OCR Physics-Edexcel
awesome.

Just doing a quick search on google I found these:
https://quizlet.com/content/aqa-gcse-chemistry-flashcards
https://quizlet.com/gb/content/ocr-gcse-biology-flashcards
https://quizlet.com/gb/content/edexcel-gcse-physics-flashcards

You may have to create a quilt account if you don't already have one- also if you don't like these flashcards then I think there should be plenty of resources, including flashcards, on physicsandmathstutor, if you just select the right exam board and entry level. Also you can just type (for example) "GCSE chemistry AQA flashcards" and it comes up with a bunch of options. Hope this helps!
Reply 6
Original post by madsr1

Thank you so so much this is very helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 7
Original post by madsr1
awesome.
Just doing a quick search on google I found these:
https://quizlet.com/content/aqa-gcse-chemistry-flashcards
https://quizlet.com/gb/content/ocr-gcse-biology-flashcards
https://quizlet.com/gb/content/edexcel-gcse-physics-flashcards
You may have to create a quilt account if you don't already have one- also if you don't like these flashcards then I think there should be plenty of resources, including flashcards, on physicsandmathstutor, if you just select the right exam board and entry level. Also you can just type (for example) "GCSE chemistry AQA flashcards" and it comes up with a bunch of options. Hope this helps!

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest