The Student Room Group

Is spareroom website safe?

Hi. I study in Plymouth and I'm doing a placement year in London, so I need a place to stay for a year. Renting is extremely expensive especially considering that my job is right in the city center and renting anywhere nearby is out of question. Some people advised spareroom website as an option to find flatmates but I've never rented a non-student accomodation before (I'm international student from EU as well). Has anyone had any experience with this? Any way to avoid scammers or tips in general? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Shellmish
Hi. I study in Plymouth and I'm doing a placement year in London, so I need a place to stay for a year. Renting is extremely expensive especially considering that my job is right in the city center and renting anywhere nearby is out of question. Some people advised spareroom website as an option to find flatmates but I've never rented a non-student accomodation before (I'm international student from EU as well). Has anyone had any experience with this? Any way to avoid scammers or tips in general? Thanks :smile:

Hello there.

I used SpareRoom as an adult needing accommodation during the week in 2018-2019.
The process was fine for me.

I visited about 5 places before I booked anything.

I looked at how safe the area was on the internet. Then I visited to have a look round and meet the owners . They were all very professional.

They gave me a contract to read and think about.
In the place I stayed, the owner also showed me their passport while I was on the visit.

The year was fine.
I would say visit in advance, give yourself plenty of time to think before you sign anything or pay a deposit.
Also, if you don’t feel safe, don’t go to that place.
Original post by Shellmish

I've known lots of people to use this website, you can also filter down options by what your preferences are then as the user says above do your own research into the area etc. I'm sure you can meet with the current tenants over a video call or visit the home before making a decision too 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending