The Student Room Group

Contextual offer due to circumstances but only if make firm not insurance ?

My child has been given contextual offers by two universities due to many factors - financial, school attended, area live, carer, plus a few others unfortunately.
They love both universities and wish to put both as firm and insurance.
We understood the offers are due to challenging personal circumstances as they’ve explained to us and yet both universities say the offers (grade reduction) are ONLY given if made firm.
This means picking one plus some other university as insurance because of how the grades work out (a uni they don’t like as much offers lower grade anyway which is lower than non contextual by the RG uni)
This seems rather unfair?
My child’s circumstances won’t change and I thought contextual is based on that not to coerce young people into firming certain universities?
Original post by UsernameB
My child has been given contextual offers by two universities due to many factors - financial, school attended, area live, carer, plus a few others unfortunately.
They love both universities and wish to put both as firm and insurance.
We understood the offers are due to challenging personal circumstances as they’ve explained to us and yet both universities say the offers (grade reduction) are ONLY given if made firm.
This means picking one plus some other university as insurance because of how the grades work out (a uni they don’t like as much offers lower grade anyway which is lower than non contextual by the RG uni)
This seems rather unfair?
My child’s circumstances won’t change and I thought contextual is based on that not to coerce young people into firming certain universities?

Never heard of this happening specifically with contextual offers before, but it's sadly pretty typical for universities to give reduced offers to you if you firm them with regular conditional offers. UCAS has been cracking down on these and other sort of practices in the last few years but still plenty of work to be done, regrettably :frown:
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
Never heard of this happening specifically with contextual offers before, but it's sadly pretty typical for universities to give reduced offers to you if you firm them with regular conditional offers. UCAS has been cracking down on these and other sort of practices in the last few years but still plenty of work to be done, regrettably :frown:

It’s an excellent RG uni and so disappointing! They really wanted to put it as insurance but can’t due to the contextual benefits being removed if they do (it would mean some additional financial support and practical
Support). We are pretty shocked to be honest.
Reply 3
Unfair though this may seem, if you are stuck with it I would firm the uni you were thinking of having for your insurance.
Original post by UsernameB
It’s an excellent RG uni and so disappointing! They really wanted to put it as insurance but can’t due to the contextual benefits being removed if they do (it would mean some additional financial support and practical
Support). We are pretty shocked to be honest.

Can you share the specific universities and the precise offer conditions wording (from ucas)?
Reply 5
My child called the universities that made contextualoffers based on their circumstances and every single onesaid - the offer only applies if they make them the formchoice. Because of how the grades work they now haveto use a uni for insurance that has no contextual offerand they will miss out on extra support practical/financialetc. it doesn’t seem right and so many say they can’t do itbut every single one has !!

They qualify for the reduced grades and extra support because of many factors BUT can only have it IF they put that university as the firm choice.
If they put it as insurance the contextual offer is withdrawn.

Wrong

Unfair
Whether it’s wrong or unfair depends on the admissions policy of the university and the precise offer wording.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending