The Student Room Group

Need advice - Specific US vs UK unis for son

Hello, first post here despite being a long time lurker. Sorry for the long commentary/question. But would love to hear your opinions.

We live in the US (Texas), son is finishing up his HS at a local private college prep school and he has originally only applied to US schools for entry in 2024. He wants to study Business (management/finance) and possibly international business economics. He wants to work in an international environment one day. He has a EU passport besides his US passport. He has good grades and 5544 on APs (3.9 GPA decent ACT score). He was rejected from some of his top US choices (Northwestern, Cornell, UCLA, U of Texas and he was accepted to a couple of expensive schools: Baylor, U of Miami, William & Mary, Pepperdine and U of Colorado.

While these schools are decent schools and good business programs they are very very expensive….cheapest one is Colorado ($40k) and William & Mary with a $50k Tuition per year….Baylor/Pepperdine/Miami are $65k-$75k per year.

After this process he made a decision to apply to some UK schools to see what would happen and he was accepted to:

U of Edinburgh, U of Manchester & Exeter. He still waiting on Warwick and King’s College. He also was accepted to ESCP international program in 3 diff countries starting in London in year 1.

From a cost benefit point of view, there is no comparison between the UK/ESCP schools vs the US schools…Even Edinburgh with being 4 years is still a drop in the bucket price wise….crap, you could graduate form one of these UK schools and spend the same in 3 years as you would have in only ONE year in these US schools.

But my question to you guys is related to these specific schools and whether an education and degree from these 2nd Tier UK schools (Edinburgh/Manchester/Exeter and potentially Warwick/Kings) would be better for his goal of eventually working in an international business environment in the UK/Europe or if he eventually moves back to the US. He wants to pursue a Masters degree in the UK after school in either Finance/Management/Economics.

From a US perspective, while Warwick/Kings look like the better Business Schools , we dont know if he will be accepted. Also here in the US not many firms would value or know Warwick. Fair or not, the reality is that the only 3 unis in this list that would get any kind of recognition from recruiting managers in the US from US companies would be KCL, Edinburgh and Manchester given their Global reputation is decent and they have a good alumni presence in the US.

ESCP is a different animal. We know a lot about this program. 3 yrs in 3 different countries. Bsc in Management. We have a friend whose son just graduated from ESCP a yr ago and is now at LBS finishing his master with an offer to work at a large international consulting firm.

We are struggling to justify paying almost $100k per year in Tuition and Living Costs for avg universities in the US when can get just as good (if not better) education at these UK schools for a fraction of the price.

What would you advise your son if you were in my position in case he doesnt get in KCL or Warwick?

How would you advise him and rank these options?

ESCP
Edinburgh
Manchester
Exeter

Thank you again and sorry for the long 1st post

Scroll to see replies

Edinburgh is the standout UK uni from your list. Warwick is a top uni but is a campus uni next to a sh*tty city - Coventry.

I recommend your son goes to Edinburgh - a highly respected uni and a wonderful uni and city. Your son is guaranteed to have a great experience. There are lots of international students in Edinburgh so your son will fit in easily.
Thank you for such a quick response.
My son is leaning Edinburgh or ESCP. He visited Exeter, really liked the campus environment there the best, but he is worried about being so far from a major city center…. he is also a city kid, which is why he also applied to Manchester.

He is worried about the low student satisfaction at Edinburgh despite the 6 students he spoke with at the business school all love the place. He is enamored by the idea of ESCP 3 major cities in 3 yrs (London, Madrid and Berlin). Being a fanatical football fan, this would be a dream for him 😃 but. Im worried about the impact to his studies …😃 although with his EU passport this would be the cheapest option.

As far as US recognition, Edinburgh and Manchester trumps the other two. If he gets in KCL, would that change your view?
(edited 1 month ago)
Just for comparison's sake on International Fees per Year:

Edinburgh: 26,500
Manchester: 30,000
Exeter: 23,700
ESCP: 17,900 (since he has EU Passport) - $24,600 for everybody else
Warwick: 31,620
KCL 33,450

US Colleges Sample:
Baylor: $57,734
Pepperdine: $69,130
Miami: $58,104
Our US daughter chose UK over US. And we agreed because US choice colleges costs are double if not triple except for in state where she would have been almost free. But she wants the amazing experience. Note KCL is only 3 years for costs. We have done a lot of research and Edinburgh and KCL are great choices for high achieving students who want a city university. I wish US system would change to UCAS. It is so much better!
Yes KCL is a top uni - not in the same league as Imperial, LSE or UCL but still up there. I cannot comment on ESCP unfortunately but London Madrid and Berlin are wonderful cities.
Original post by Bethfbailey06
Our US daughter chose UK over US. And we agreed because US choice colleges costs are double if not triple except for in state where she would have been almost free. But she wants the amazing experience. Note KCL is only 3 years for costs. We have done a lot of research and Edinburgh and KCL are great choices for high achieving students who want a city university. I wish US system would change to UCAS. It is so much better!

Costs are a big deal. Things have gotten out of control in the US. But from what I've read, UK Unis will need to increase their tuition soon. 9k is not enough for the top unis to maintain and pay for the level of professors they have. Otherwise they will need to increase their share of international students who pay close to 30k...and we know this might upset a lot of people in the UK, specially if these schools lower qualification stds to make up for the revenue.

If you dont mind me asking, which school is your daughter in and what were her choices?
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by mike23mike
Yes KCL is a top uni - not in the same league as Imperial, LSE or UCL but still up there. I cannot comment on ESCP unfortunately but London Madrid and Berlin are wonderful cities.

While KCL is much more expensive when including cost of living in London, it is only 3 yrs vs Edinburgh. With KCL isn't it true that a lot of students just live at home and commute? Wonder how much this contributes to a completely different uni experience.
Hey there, US student about to finish Management at Manchester here. Similar plans to your son of wanting to work in an international environment and eventually want to go back to the US.

Edinburgh: Great reputation overall. The campus and city is very pretty but the weather is probably the worst here. Coming from Texas into Scotland would be a big change, unless he really likes rainy and cold (I came from a warm state too and underestimated how much weather actually matters). Would also have to pay 4 years of tuition and honestly I think a pro of coming coming to the UK is being able to finish in 3 years or do 4 years that include a placement (which I did and recommend!) rather than 4 full years of academics.
Manchester: Strong reputation overall, especially in management but also in finance/econ. I really like the management course itself because it offers a lot variety which for me, as someone who didn't know exactly what I wanted to, was a big help. Huge student community and alumni presence and the campus is nice. I believe the city itself is truly the best for university because it's not as overwhelming as London but it's still probably the 2nd most important city in the UK. You mentioned your son likes football so this city is a no brainer for it. I pretty much knew I wanted to come here when I applied to all my unis and I'm still happy with my choice. Feel free to ask me any questions about anything here!
Exeter: Not very familiar with it but I know the surrounding environment is nice. Reputation in the UK is good but can't say it will translate internationally.
ESCP: Not familiar with the school but honestly sounds like a unique and cool program, I wish I knew about it when I was looking for a university! Feels very niche so I expect the student cohort to be small, depending on how sociable your son is that can make a difference. All three cities sound great, though I spent some time in Madrid and found it to be just ok.
Warwick: Really strong in the UK, especially in business but does not feel as known outside the UK. If you for sure plan to stay in the UK right after uni, it could be alright but otherwise I wouldn't consider it as much due to the international aspect. Someone mentioned the city isn't great, I've also heard ok things so definitely do research around that.
KCL: The best reputation overall from all of these but London living costs are high and like you mentioned, people often commute. It does not have a campus feel and can end up feeling like going to an office rather than an university. If your son does not get in for undergrad, there is always masters and honestly it feels more suited for a masters.

Something else to consider is what kinds of courses is he interested in? Have a look at what is offered at each uni for the course he is joining as that can be something people fail to consider but is a big part of enjoying your time. If there is an industry your son is interested in, ie. investment banking, maybe have a look at what the target unis are but also take that with a grain of salt. Truly all of these are great universities so make sure to consider what he wants from his time outside of studying, like the city. Good luck!
Original post by Anonymous
Hey there, US student about to finish Management at Manchester here. Similar plans to your son of wanting to work in an international environment and eventually want to go back to the US.
Edinburgh: Great reputation overall. The campus and city is very pretty but the weather is probably the worst here. Coming from Texas into Scotland would be a big change, unless he really likes rainy and cold (I came from a warm state too and underestimated how much weather actually matters). Would also have to pay 4 years of tuition and honestly I think a pro of coming coming to the UK is being able to finish in 3 years or do 4 years that include a placement (which I did and recommend!) rather than 4 full years of academics.
Manchester: Strong reputation overall, especially in management but also in finance/econ. I really like the management course itself because it offers a lot variety which for me, as someone who didn't know exactly what I wanted to, was a big help. Huge student community and alumni presence and the campus is nice. I believe the city itself is truly the best for university because it's not as overwhelming as London but it's still probably the 2nd most important city in the UK. You mentioned your son likes football so this city is a no brainer for it. I pretty much knew I wanted to come here when I applied to all my unis and I'm still happy with my choice. Feel free to ask me any questions about anything here!
Exeter: Not very familiar with it but I know the surrounding environment is nice. Reputation in the UK is good but can't say it will translate internationally.
ESCP: Not familiar with the school but honestly sounds like a unique and cool program, I wish I knew about it when I was looking for a university! Feels very niche so I expect the student cohort to be small, depending on how sociable your son is that can make a difference. All three cities sound great, though I spent some time in Madrid and found it to be just ok.
Warwick: Really strong in the UK, especially in business but does not feel as known outside the UK. If you for sure plan to stay in the UK right after uni, it could be alright but otherwise I wouldn't consider it as much due to the international aspect. Someone mentioned the city isn't great, I've also heard ok things so definitely do research around that.
KCL: The best reputation overall from all of these but London living costs are high and like you mentioned, people often commute. It does not have a campus feel and can end up feeling like going to an office rather than an university. If your son does not get in for undergrad, there is always masters and honestly it feels more suited for a masters.
Something else to consider is what kinds of courses is he interested in? Have a look at what is offered at each uni for the course he is joining as that can be something people fail to consider but is a big part of enjoying your time. If there is an industry your son is interested in, ie. investment banking, maybe have a look at what the target unis are but also take that with a grain of salt. Truly all of these are great universities so make sure to consider what he wants from his time outside of studying, like the city. Good luck!

Thank you for taking the time to write such an insightful post! I really do appreciate it. Great to hear about you experience at Manchester. I know this is a big university, how was the social aspect and the difficulty/or not to make friends as an American? My son is very extroverted, but not a clubbing/drinking type. Sure he drinks, but not into clubbing much. (at least not yet).

Are there a lot of Americans in the undergraduate programs in the business school? How was accommodations? I heard accommodations at UofM are not great.

As it relates to the Mangement program, how does the placement year work as it relates to placements, locations, how much does the school helps, etc.

Can you comment on class sizes from 1st through 3rd yr (4th in your case)?

He has an interest in Entrepreneurship / Finance.

Did you go home during holiday breaks/summer?

Again, thank you so much for your feedback and sorry for all of these questions.
Reply 10
Hi so ESCP bachelor is a massive cash cow. If I were him I would go to Manchester or Edinburg. The school has a bettter reputation as being located in the UK. Unless he is full fluent in French and wants to stay there, there is no point to study at a French school. Hope it helps :smile:
Original post by MichelleUSATX
Hello, first post here despite being a long time lurker. Sorry for the long commentary/question. But would love to hear your opinions.
We live in the US (Texas), son is finishing up his HS at a local private college prep school and he has originally only applied to US schools for entry in 2024. He wants to study Business (management/finance) and possibly international business economics. He wants to work in an international environment one day. He has a EU passport besides his US passport. He has good grades and 5544 on APs (3.9 GPA decent ACT score). He was rejected from some of his top US choices (Northwestern, Cornell, UCLA, U of Texas and he was accepted to a couple of expensive schools: Baylor, U of Miami, William & Mary, Pepperdine and U of Colorado.
While these schools are decent schools and good business programs they are very very expensive….cheapest one is Colorado ($40k) and William & Mary with a $50k Tuition per year….Baylor/Pepperdine/Miami are $65k-$75k per year.
After this process he made a decision to apply to some UK schools to see what would happen and he was accepted to:
U of Edinburgh, U of Manchester & Exeter. He still waiting on Warwick and King’s College. He also was accepted to ESCP international program in 3 diff countries starting in London in year 1.
From a cost benefit point of view, there is no comparison between the UK/ESCP schools vs the US schools…Even Edinburgh with being 4 years is still a drop in the bucket price wise….crap, you could graduate form one of these UK schools and spend the same in 3 years as you would have in only ONE year in these US schools.
But my question to you guys is related to these specific schools and whether an education and degree from these 2nd Tier UK schools (Edinburgh/Manchester/Exeter and potentially Warwick/Kings) would be better for his goal of eventually working in an international business environment in the UK/Europe or if he eventually moves back to the US. He wants to pursue a Masters degree in the UK after school in either Finance/Management/Economics.
From a US perspective, while Warwick/Kings look like the better Business Schools , we dont know if he will be accepted. Also here in the US not many firms would value or know Warwick. Fair or not, the reality is that the only 3 unis in this list that would get any kind of recognition from recruiting managers in the US from US companies would be KCL, Edinburgh and Manchester given their Global reputation is decent and they have a good alumni presence in the US.
ESCP is a different animal. We know a lot about this program. 3 yrs in 3 different countries. Bsc in Management. We have a friend whose son just graduated from ESCP a yr ago and is now at LBS finishing his master with an offer to work at a large international consulting firm.
We are struggling to justify paying almost $100k per year in Tuition and Living Costs for avg universities in the US when can get just as good (if not better) education at these UK schools for a fraction of the price.
What would you advise your son if you were in my position in case he doesnt get in KCL or Warwick?
How would you advise him and rank these options?
ESCP
Edinburgh
Manchester
Exeter
Thank you again and sorry for the long 1st post

ESCP isn't very well known in the UK as far as I'm aware. The UK unis would therefore be a much safer choice for working in the UK. I go to LSE which is just opposite KCL so I can offer some guidance on London student life. UK students who live in London do often commute from second year, but this is usually only around 20% of students. However, as KCL has limited student accommodation, most students end up renting an apartment in residential parts of London with friends during 2nd year which can get quite expensive. Nonetheless, it will still be cheaper than the US or doing a 4th year at Edinburgh. KCL is also very international (over 50% I believe), as is the whole of London. Your son would have a great time here and as you said, the career and networking opportunities are great.

Someone mentioned something about the weather being bad in Edinburgh. Perhaps, but not much worse than the entirety of the UK and certainly not something to base his university decision on. Edinburgh seems like the obvious second choice due to its very strong reputation both in the UK and US, alongside the fact that it's a great city.

Another thing to remember is that the UK is pretty small and has great public transport, especially in comparison to the US. Therefore, I also wouldn't advise choosing Manchester simply on the basis that it has a huge football presence as your son could get to Manchester in a matter of hours from any of the other universities for a weekend trip. That's not to say Manchester isn't a good choice, but Edinburgh is a better city and has a better reputation too.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Thank you for taking the time to write such an insightful post! I really do appreciate it. Great to hear about you experience at Manchester. I know this is a big university, how was the social aspect and the difficulty/or not to make friends as an American? My son is very extroverted, but not a clubbing/drinking type. Sure he drinks, but not into clubbing much. (at least not yet).
Are there a lot of Americans in the undergraduate programs in the business school? How was accommodations? I heard accommodations at UofM are not great.
As it relates to the Mangement program, how does the placement year work as it relates to placements, locations, how much does the school helps, etc.
Again, thank you so much for your feedback and sorry for all of these questions.

hi. this is quite unrelated but I' really appreciate some insight. How recognised are LSE/ UCL in america?
No worries! I’ll try my best to answer.

-Like you mentioned, huge university so I think it would be great for an extroverted type. Plenty of different clubs to join from academic to sports so that he meets people in a non drinking focused environment. As an American specifically, I find I fit in fine since the school is so international. That being said I haven’t actually met many Americans in my business undergrad, more postgrad (I think Scotland unis have a high population of them so if that’s a consideration, Edinburgh would be better) but I don’t mind as I’ve liked getting to meet students from all over and expanding my network. Honestly the fact that I’m more rare makes people go like wow that’s so cool when they hear where I’m from haha. The city itself is super multicultural and known to be super welcoming and friendly in general!

-Accommodations is a bit of a luck of the draw but I think if you apply early enough you can secure the spot you want. Some buildings are a lot older which aren’t the nicest but there are some really nice ones that have just been built and they’ll cost more but it’s definitely worth it. It also just depends on the type of flatmates you get which is hard to control but accom is also where many people make their closest friends so it could work out! There is such a range of stuff so even if I had a decent experience, I’ve heard such a variety of experiences. That being said you only live on school dorms for the first year and after that people usually rent a private house with friends and you get a lot more control over that.

-So a placement is something you can do with most courses and at any uni. In terms of how much help I got, it honestly is a lot of self work and it’s becoming more and more difficult. UoM has great career resources to draw on and advisors to consult but it ultimately comes down to your own dedication as applications can take up a lot of time. With the management course specifically, you can choose any kind of role and anywhere you’d like to go, it all depends on what you find and what you end up securing. You apply in your second year and once you’re on the placement, it’s a normal full time job for around a year and then you come back to finish your final year. You can get one at really big companies and it’s often a great way to secure a graduate role.

-Class sizes for lectures are biggest in year one with maybe a 100 or so (not sure of the exact) since everyone on the management course takes the same classes but you do get more personal time in something called a seminar. It’s more of a practical tutorial where the class size is a lot smaller, max 30, so you get to work closer with peers and speak to professors. 2nd and 3rd year really depends on what kind of course you take since there is a lot of choice and popularity of different courses vary. I’ve had really small ones like 30 people overall but I’ve also still had the big ones. I end up feeling like the class size doesn’t matter too much because the seminars exist.

-UoM is actually amazing for entrepreneurship and even has a specialism in the management course specifically for it! There is also a center dedicated to it and often there are events/competitions that promote the initiative. I personally haven’t interacted with it much but it’s hard not to hear about it. For finance, plenty of people go on to do it from management since it is such a broad course but there are lots of finance specific courses over the three years he can choose to take. Lots of finance alumni to connect with at the business school too.

-I did go home a few times and I find flying to the US from Manchester is pretty reasonable both in terms of price and connecting flights. Breaks will still be higher prices but the way exams work in the UK means you may end up getting a bit more time to visit home outside of just the usual holiday break which is useful since flying back is a big hassle. I actually preferred to explore the surrounding countries since it’s so cheap and it’s my best chance. A lot of people in general go home over the breaks, since they’re much closer, but I’ve stayed and still had a really good time because it’s nice to just enjoy/explore the city and country really without academic stress.
Original post by Any800
Hi so ESCP bachelor is a massive cash cow. If I were him I would go to Manchester or Edinburg. The school has a bettter reputation as being located in the UK. Unless he is full fluent in French and wants to stay there, there is no point to study at a French school. Hope it helps :smile:

Thank you for the comment. But with all due respect, other than the price (cheaper for a EU student than any other UK uni) how much do you actually know about this program? Do u know any graduates? from all of the schools mentioned, this is the only one where I actually have friends whose kids have attended and are now doing really well. A couple of those kids we know went directly to graduate programs at UCL, Imperial, LBS and LSE from ESCP and are now working at prestigious firms.….Regardless, after a quick cross search between your handle and ESCP, it is clear you have an issue with that school for some reason, constantly putting it down. It is not a UK uni, so why do you care so much? It is wonderful international program that target kids like my son who speaks more than one language (my son speaks Spanish and Italian) who want to work internationally in a multicultural environment.
Original post by poppy2022
ESCP isn't very well known in the UK as far as I'm aware. The UK unis would therefore be a much safer choice for working in the UK. I go to LSE which is just opposite KCL so I can offer some guidance on London student life. UK students who live in London do often commute from second year, but this is usually only around 20% of students. However, as KCL has limited student accommodation, most students end up renting an apartment in residential parts of London with friends during 2nd year which can get quite expensive. Nonetheless, it will still be cheaper than the US or doing a 4th year at Edinburgh. KCL is also very international (over 50% I believe), as is the whole of London. Your son would have a great time here and as you said, the career and networking opportunities are great.
Someone mentioned something about the weather being bad in Edinburgh. Perhaps, but not much worse than the entirety of the UK and certainly not something to base his university decision on. Edinburgh seems like the obvious second choice due to its very strong reputation both in the UK and US, alongside the fact that it's a great city.
Another thing to remember is that the UK is pretty small and has great public transport, especially in comparison to the US. Therefore, I also wouldn't advise choosing Manchester simply on the basis that it has a huge football presence as your son could get to Manchester in a matter of hours from any of the other universities for a weekend trip. That's not to say Manchester isn't a good choice, but Edinburgh is a better city and has a better reputation too.

Thank you for the comment! LSE is an incredible place, unfortunately my son didnt quite have the grades for LSE. But yes, great point on KCL being next door. Thank you for the feedback. Hopefully he hears back from KCL soon, but each day that passes he leans more towards Edinburgh. As for Manchester, he selected it due to the strength of the IBFE program at Alliance and recognition in the US. There are a lot of UofM grads in the US and the international reputation is good, unlike Warwick, where despite being highly ranked in business in the UK, it has zero reach/recognition in the US.
KCL: over 60% of first year UK students are commuting in from home (that’s 40% of the entire student body).
Original post by PQ
KCL: over 60% of first year UK students are commuting in from home (that’s 40% of the entire student body).

Wow. That is a huge number. This would be considered a commuter school in the US. I can only imagine how this impacts campus environment. Thank you for the stat.

On a positive note my son got his unconditional offer for Warwick today! He is very happy about that. He is going to visit Warwick, Exeter again and Manchester next week after his finals. He has already visited Edinburgh and ESCP/KCL in London. Let’s see how that visit goes.

Now the wait for KCL continues….wonder how long until he gets a response….
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by Anonymous
No worries! I’ll try my best to answer.
-Like you mentioned, huge university so I think it would be great for an extroverted type. Plenty of different clubs to join from academic to sports so that he meets people in a non drinking focused environment. As an American specifically, I find I fit in fine since the school is so international. That being said I haven’t actually met many Americans in my business undergrad, more postgrad (I think Scotland unis have a high population of them so if that’s a consideration, Edinburgh would be better) but I don’t mind as I’ve liked getting to meet students from all over and expanding my network. Honestly the fact that I’m more rare makes people go like wow that’s so cool when they hear where I’m from haha. The city itself is super multicultural and known to be super welcoming and friendly in general!
-Accommodations is a bit of a luck of the draw but I think if you apply early enough you can secure the spot you want. Some buildings are a lot older which aren’t the nicest but there are some really nice ones that have just been built and they’ll cost more but it’s definitely worth it. It also just depends on the type of flatmates you get which is hard to control but accom is also where many people make their closest friends so it could work out! There is such a range of stuff so even if I had a decent experience, I’ve heard such a variety of experiences. That being said you only live on school dorms for the first year and after that people usually rent a private house with friends and you get a lot more control over that.
-So a placement is something you can do with most courses and at any uni. In terms of how much help I got, it honestly is a lot of self work and it’s becoming more and more difficult. UoM has great career resources to draw on and advisors to consult but it ultimately comes down to your own dedication as applications can take up a lot of time. With the management course specifically, you can choose any kind of role and anywhere you’d like to go, it all depends on what you find and what you end up securing. You apply in your second year and once you’re on the placement, it’s a normal full time job for around a year and then you come back to finish your final year. You can get one at really big companies and it’s often a great way to secure a graduate role.
-Class sizes for lectures are biggest in year one with maybe a 100 or so (not sure of the exact) since everyone on the management course takes the same classes but you do get more personal time in something called a seminar. It’s more of a practical tutorial where the class size is a lot smaller, max 30, so you get to work closer with peers and speak to professors. 2nd and 3rd year really depends on what kind of course you take since there is a lot of choice and popularity of different courses vary. I’ve had really small ones like 30 people overall but I’ve also still had the big ones. I end up feeling like the class size doesn’t matter too much because the seminars exist.
-UoM is actually amazing for entrepreneurship and even has a specialism in the management course specifically for it! There is also a center dedicated to it and often there are events/competitions that promote the initiative. I personally haven’t interacted with it much but it’s hard not to hear about it. For finance, plenty of people go on to do it from management since it is such a broad course but there are lots of finance specific courses over the three years he can choose to take. Lots of finance alumni to connect with at the business school too.
-I did go home a few times and I find flying to the US from Manchester is pretty reasonable both in terms of price and connecting flights. Breaks will still be higher prices but the way exams work in the UK means you may end up getting a bit more time to visit home outside of just the usual holiday break which is useful since flying back is a big hassle. I actually preferred to explore the surrounding countries since it’s so cheap and it’s my best chance. A lot of people in general go home over the breaks, since they’re much closer, but I’ve stayed and still had a really good time because it’s nice to just enjoy/explore the city and country really without academic stress.

Thank you for the info. He will be touring some schools next week to see if he changes his mind on his own preferences...
Right now after the Warwick offer yesterday he is leaning towards Edinburgh. He cant yet separate Manchester/ESCP/Warwick/Exeter before visiting some of them next week. These are all such different environments.
Thank you for such a quick response.
My son is leaning Edinburgh or ESCP. He visited Exeter, really liked the campus environment there the best, but he is worried about being so far from a major city center…. he is also a city kid, which is why he also applied to Manchester.
He is worried about the low student satisfaction at Edinburgh despite the 6 students he spoke with at the business school all love the place. He is enamored by the idea of ESCP 3 major cities in 3 yrs (London, Madrid and Berlin). Being a fanatical football fan, this would be a dream for him 😃 but. Im worried about the impact to his studies …😃 although with his EU passport this would be the cheapest option.
As far as US recognition, Edinburgh and Manchester trumps the other two. If he gets in KCL, would that change your view?

Exeter is a city with plenty to do and you are near the sea and beautiful countryside. It'll be a lot warmer than Edinburgh and Scotland is very different in how degrees are organised. Warwick isn't in a grwat part of the country and London is expensive annd no campus feel.

Quick Reply

Latest