The Student Room Group

Jobs

What is the best job to have whilst you’re studying Paramedic Science at a university?
Original post by EClarke66
What is the best job to have whilst you’re studying Paramedic Science at a university?

Some students find it more difficult to hold a part-time job alongside studying health courses that include placements, as you will need to manage both your placement and your studying alongside which can be demanding at times.
At CCCU, some of our paramedic students work as student ambassadors at the university, as it offers flexible working around your schedule and you are not committed to set hours, so if you find that you are approaching a busy time for assignment deadlines etc, you haven't got the added pressure of working if you do not want to 🙂
Original post by EClarke66

Hi there,

I would agree with what has been said that with a course where you will be quite full on and also have placements, it may be tricky to have a job as well. Something flexible would be the best as when you are on placement, it is unlikely you will know in advance what days etc you will be working so you will need to have an element of flexibility in your work.

I would also recommend looking into a job as a student ambassador or any other campus jobs that your university may offer. These jobs are really flexible and usually you can just pick as many or as little shifts as you want to do to fit around what work you have on that week/month. This could be handy as if you know you are going to be on placement for lets say a month, you have the option to just not schedule shifts in this time and then when you are finished on placement you can pick some extra shifts up. Sometimes work is offered last minute too so this can be handy if your schedule changes a lot. Also, because it is a campus job, they want to ensure that you are getting your uni work done and they wouldn't expect you to work if you had commitments at uni or on placement which is good as there will never be pressure to miss uni for work.

If you know you have a long stretch without placement, you could look into getting a flexible part time job at a restaurant or something similar as these hours are unlikely to clash with uni but in general I would say that you are going to be quite busy and it might be hard to commit to a job with set hours.

I hope some of this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Reply 3
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi there,
I would agree with what has been said that with a course where you will be quite full on and also have placements, it may be tricky to have a job as well. Something flexible would be the best as when you are on placement, it is unlikely you will know in advance what days etc you will be working so you will need to have an element of flexibility in your work.
I would also recommend looking into a job as a student ambassador or any other campus jobs that your university may offer. These jobs are really flexible and usually you can just pick as many or as little shifts as you want to do to fit around what work you have on that week/month. This could be handy as if you know you are going to be on placement for lets say a month, you have the option to just not schedule shifts in this time and then when you are finished on placement you can pick some extra shifts up. Sometimes work is offered last minute too so this can be handy if your schedule changes a lot. Also, because it is a campus job, they want to ensure that you are getting your uni work done and they wouldn't expect you to work if you had commitments at uni or on placement which is good as there will never be pressure to miss uni for work.
If you know you have a long stretch without placement, you could look into getting a flexible part time job at a restaurant or something similar as these hours are unlikely to clash with uni but in general I would say that you are going to be quite busy and it might be hard to commit to a job with set hours.
I hope some of this helps,
Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Yes it does thank tou

Quick Reply

Latest