The Student Room Group

Unis similar to Glasgow and St andrews

Are there any unis that are similar to Glasgow and St Andrews that don’t require as high grade requirements but are still prestigious and get good results?? Scared about how I’ll do in my a levels, although I’m still yr12
Strathclyde
Degree subject? What are your grade expectations?
Just Scottish Unis, or elsewhere?
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger

Wanting to do economic and social history (Glasgow) or economics with modern history (St Andrew’s) so anything with history and economics/international relations
Reply 4

Grade expectations are currently ABB/BBB, but I’m in yr12 so may end up getting higher, and outside of Scotland can work too but not London (too expensive)
Reply 6
Original post by Gravity0
Are there any unis that are similar to Glasgow and St Andrews that don’t require as high grade requirements but are still prestigious and get good results?? Scared about how I’ll do in my a levels, although I’m still yr12

The standard entry requirements for economics at St Andrews are AAA.
Reply 7
Prestige is a very debatable thing with universities. St Andrews is relatively small so if prestige is measured by amount of research, it's probably not prestigious. For quality of research? It's slightly worse than Glasgow and than most of the Russell Group (and so are Durham and Bath, with which it draws).
If prestige is measured by the percentage of privately educated students (a yardstick that Oxford and Cambridge have moved away from) then St Andrews, on approx. 40%, is the most prestigious UK university, with Durham just behind on approx 39%.
If prestige is measured by age, St Andrews is third behind Oxford then Cambridge.

Bristol and Kings College London might sometimes ask for lower grades than St Andrews. But that doesn't necessarily mean that St Andrews is harder to get in to. It depends on how many applicants they have for how many places. Interest in St Andrews will no doubt have been accelerated with some candidates by William and Kate studying there.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Picnicl
Prestige is a very debatable thing with universities. St Andrews is relatively small so if prestige is measured by amount of research, it's probably not prestigious. For quality of research? It's slightly worse than Glasgow and than most of the Russell Group (and so are Durham and Bath, with which it draws).
If prestige is measured by the percentage of privately educated students (a yardstick that Oxford and Cambridge have moved away from) then St Andrews, on approx. 40%, is the most prestigious UK university, with Durham just behind on approx 39%.
If prestige is measured by age, St Andrews is third behind Oxford then Cambridge.
Bristol and Kings College London might sometimes ask for lower grades than St Andrews. But that doesn't necessarily mean that St Andrews is harder to get in to. It depends on how many applicants they have for how many places. Interest in St Andrews will no doubt have been accelerated with some candidates by William and Kate studying there.

https://www.savethestudent.org/freshers/which-universities-are-easiest-to-get-into.html

On acceptance rates St Andrews is the hardest uni to get in to after Oxbridge.
Reply 9
Original post by S1098
https://www.savethestudent.org/freshers/which-universities-are-easiest-to-get-into.html

I appreciate you finding the stats but it's only a useful stat to some extent, simply because St Andrews has far fewer students than any of the Russell Group. Far fewer places in places that ask for relatively high grades means far more potential of rejection. Its small student numbers does mean that, in practice, when popular, it can afford to be highly choosy about who it accepts if and when it wants. St Andrews undoubtedly seems to have become increasingly popular. It is that which is driving rejection rates, not the difficulty of achieving the entry requirements compared to, say, Durham. International students form a relatively high percentage of its intake, which further adds to the likelihood of a UK student being rejected.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Picnicl
I appreciate you finding the stats but it's only a useful stat to some extent, simply because St Andrews has far fewer students than any of the Russell Group. Far fewer places in places that ask for relatively high grades means far more potential of rejection. Its small student numbers does mean that, in practice, when popular, it can afford to be highly choosy about who it accepts if and when it wants. St Andrews undoubtedly seems to have become increasingly popular. It is that which is driving rejection rates, not the difficulty of achieving the entry requirements compared to, say, Durham. International students form a relatively high percentage of its intake, which further adds to the likelihood of a UK student being rejected.

Useful for OP to understand the grade requirements and competitiveness of entry at St Andrews. I see quite a lot of people who see the entry requirements for St Andrews and Edinburgh and don't realise that is the minimum required for the university to consider them, and that most applicants exceed those grades.
Original post by S1098

Snob value counts.
It doesnt mean the Uni is 'better' - however you think you can measure that - but the fact that members of the Royal Family chose it, increases the 'ooo, I'm going there' mania for those who like that sort of association.
Reply 12
Snob value counts.
It doesnt mean the Uni is 'better' - however you think you can measure that - but the fact that members of the Royal Family chose it, increases the 'ooo, I'm going there' mania for those who like that sort of association.

That was like 20 years ago! I think the uni has more going for it than that. Including really high student satisfaction compared to Edinburgh uni which I think is a major plus for Scottish students looking at unis. Plus a different social scene compared to the city/club thing in Glasgow
Reply 13
Snob value counts.

To be honest I dont know much about the royal family, didn’t even know William or Kate went there, I’m mainly interested in reputation to do with student satisfaction and chances of finding work afterwards
Original post by Gravity0
To be honest I dont know much about the royal family, didn’t even know William or Kate went there, I’m mainly interested in reputation to do with student satisfaction and chances of finding work afterwards

Student satisfaction is one of most unreliable things to look at. Students who are unhappy with their results mark a university down and because of the small numbers competing the forms a small number of unhappy students can adversely affect the rankings.

Rankings are unreliable. Trying to choose a university based on rankings is foolish. Take St Andrews. It is ranked 4th in the Complete University guide yet is ranked 14th in the UK for QS. Siimilarly Durham. This is because the international rankings favour big city universities and always have.
In terms of old universities:

Kings College London, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds.

Obviously if we talk about Edinburgh, Durham, LSE, there's a chance you wouldn't have the grades for those.

Aberdeen looks the most like St Andrews of all universities but Aberdeen isn't as high up the ratings.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending