The Student Room Group

A level Maths or Sociology for non fluent English student?

I want to study intensively (for 1 year) A level, I am missing one subject to enter the university. And for the whole year I will have only one subject that I will need to study. I'm not a native English speaker, but I can write it normally (I read quite a lot). Although, there are problems with conversation, especially when I communicate only in my native language for a couple of weeks due to the holidays.

I wanted to take A level sociology, because after reading a lot of information, I found out that this is one of the easiest A levels, I’m not saying that it’s easy, but it’s easier compared to other subjects. However, Sociology is an essay subject, although I can write normally, this subject requires good English to study it and to write the exam. But I need a grade A or at least a B.

But, my friend advised me to take A level mathematics (not further). He is also a non-native English speaker who studies geography. He says that the English easily type A in it, but he has difficulties with the subject because of English, although he works and studies quite a lot. He says that mathematics is all about numbers, and if you study hard for 1 year, you can get an A or a B.

Who can say their opinion on this matter? Are there those who teach both mathematics and sociology? I really need your advice, I don’t know which subject to choose.
Reply 1
Dear @ppaden

As a bilingual student, I am fluent in both English and my mother tongue I do experience sometimes the same difficulties with language like yourself however I currently take A level Mathematics, Politics and English Language and Literature, of which I struggle mostly with English because it's a different type of essay exam that I am not used to. Whereas with politics even though it is another essay based exam I am finding it quite good.

My mathematics is also a strong point. My advice would be take on the subject you would be comfortable taking the exam in, look at the essay types for sociology, then exams for mathematics. For Edexcel mathematics if I am not mistaken there are three exams each 2 hours long and on pure mathematics ( core mathematics), Mechanics and statistics. Pure being 2/3 of your grade and mechanics and stats being 1/3 together.

A BIG TIP IS LOOK AT THE UNIVERSITY REQUIREMENTS FOR YOUR FUTURE DEGREE AS SOMETIMES THEY REQUIRE A CERTAIN A LEVEL SUBJECT.

I wish you all the best of luck with your a level studies if you need anymore guidance, math online resources or whatever A-level related topic it may be it be a pleasure for me to try helping you.

Best regards,
Alis Sara
Reply 2
Original post by alissara
Dear @ppaden
As a bilingual student, I am fluent in both English and my mother tongue I do experience sometimes the same difficulties with language like yourself however I currently take A level Mathematics, Politics and English Language and Literature, of which I struggle mostly with English because it's a different type of essay exam that I am not used to. Whereas with politics even though it is another essay based exam I am finding it quite good.
My mathematics is also a strong point. My advice would be take on the subject you would be comfortable taking the exam in, look at the essay types for sociology, then exams for mathematics. For Edexcel mathematics if I am not mistaken there are three exams each 2 hours long and on pure mathematics ( core mathematics), Mechanics and statistics. Pure being 2/3 of your grade and mechanics and stats being 1/3 together.
A BIG TIP IS LOOK AT THE UNIVERSITY REQUIREMENTS FOR YOUR FUTURE DEGREE AS SOMETIMES THEY REQUIRE A CERTAIN A LEVEL SUBJECT.
I wish you all the best of luck with your a level studies if you need anymore guidance, math online resources or whatever A-level related topic it may be it be a pleasure for me to try helping you.
Best regards,
Alis Sara

Dear Alis Sara,

Thank you very much for you guidance. I study English only for 1.5 years, since I came to the UK and went to Sixth Form. So, this is why I afraid to take essay subject. However, essays are probably my strong point. On English GCSE mock's I can barely have a good grade by answering to questing 1-4, but question 5 is an essay that gives 40 marks. I usually get 32+ marks out of 40 for writing. And in total it can give me 6-7 grade, only because of 5th question.

Maths.. I don't think that it is hard for me if I study it properly. But, it is related I guess to other subjects, because I like to study. I don't think that Maths it is the subject that I want to do, but if I need for my dream uni, I will do it. Sociology it is something I interesting in (as any other subject xD) I just worry about they grades that I can achieve on the exam. Because it is related to English.

I don't have any specific A level subjects, it says this "Must include grade A at A-level in a Humanities or Social Science subject (excluding Modern Languages). Please note that A-level General Studies, Critical Thinking, Thinking Skills and Global Perspectives are not accepted as one of your A levels." So, I'm free to pick whatever I want to study during one year.

Thank you for your advice to simply watch the videos about subject and to understand the exam. I appreciate it. I'm on my way to do it xD

Kind regards
A person who astonished by your politeness.

Quick Reply

Latest