The Student Room Group

Calculator Problems Again…

My calculator (fx-991EX) gives me a decimal number and not the surd form when I write in qualities like cos(30) and it’s in degrees. My maths teachers haven’t been able to figure it out. Any help?
Original post by depriveofsocial
My calculator (fx-991EX) gives me a decimal number and not the surd form when I write in qualities like cos(30) and it’s in degrees. My maths teachers haven’t been able to figure it out. Any help?

You should check that the input/output option (Shift Menu 1) is set to Math I / Math O (option 1 on the list).
Original post by old_engineer
You should check that the input/output option (Shift Menu 1) is set to Math I / Math O (option 1 on the list).

just done that! it’s still giving me decimals for values such as cos(30)
Reply 3

maybe u just need to press the S=>D function?
Original post by aamina.hs
maybe u just need to press the S=>D function?

I’ve tried that, it doesn’t work unfortunately. It should come up with the surd first

What decimal value is it giving you for cos(30) ?
Reply 6
Maybe reset the calculator?
Original post by old_engineer
What decimal value is it giving you for cos(30) ?

Original post by Methene
Maybe reset the calculator?

I’ve pressed menu, 9 (reset) and done all of three of the buttons, the memory, setup data and all, but i still dont get surd form
Reply 9

Hi, I had the same issue with mine! Turns out the calculator was counterfeit so I’d suggest returning and getting a new one!
Reply 10
Original post by subbhy
Hi, I had the same issue with mine! Turns out the calculator was counterfeit so I’d suggest returning and getting a new one!

Casio has their own authentication test that you can find online to determine whether this is the case. There are loads of fake calculators around on the market 🙄
Original post by subbhy

Thank you, just found out it’s a fake! However I bought it on amazon for around £30 in September..
Reply 12
Thank you, just found out it’s a fake! However I bought it on amazon for around £30 in September..

Oh damn, I got mine off eBay! And then bought one off Amazon which worked fine. Must have been a dodgy seller, hope you get a refund!

Quick Reply

Latest