The Student Room Group

gcse grades for oxford — still worth applying?

i’m in y12 interested in studying french and linguistics at oxford, they say for the course they’d like 6 8/9 grades at gcse. i got 5 of these grades (9 in french, history, lit and lang, 8 in physics) and got 7s in everything else (chem bio maths and drama) except art, where i got a 5.
since my grades in the subjects most relevant to the degree are 9s and i’m also currently getting a*a*a*a in my reports for my a level subjects, is it still worth applying?
I would say so - I would check out this thread for more info though: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6033950
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I would say so - I would check out this thread for more info though: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6033950

thank you so much!! saw oxford actually said successful applicants typically have a high proportion of 7/8/9 grades and also they’re not crucial which is definitely encouraging, thank you:smile:)
Reply 3
It’s always worth applying. Pay no attention to the GCSE grades, but concentrate on the elements coming up.

Chuck your hat in the ring, and good luck.
Original post by cabaret
i’m in y12 interested in studying french and linguistics at oxford, they say for the course they’d like 6 8/9 grades at gcse. i got 5 of these grades (9 in french, history, lit and lang, 8 in physics) and got 7s in everything else (chem bio maths and drama) except art, where i got a 5.
since my grades in the subjects most relevant to the degree are 9s and i’m also currently getting a*a*a*a in my reports for my a level subjects, is it still worth applying?

hey! i went to oxford (worcester college) and the tutors don't really care about your gcse's so don't worry! what's important is your a level grades, and showing interest in the course e.g. wider reading on the topic
Reply 5
Original post by AnonOxE
It’s always worth applying. Pay no attention to the GCSE grades, but concentrate on the elements coming up.
Chuck your hat in the ring, and good luck.

thank you :smile:)) glad i don’t have to worry
Reply 6
Original post by Liv Davies
hey! i went to oxford (worcester college) and the tutors don't really care about your gcse's so don't worry! what's important is your a level grades, and showing interest in the course e.g. wider reading on the topic

tysm!! what did you study if you don’t mind me asking?
Original post by cabaret
tysm!! what did you study if you don’t mind me asking?

i studied geography!
Reply 8
Original post by Liv Davies
i studied geography!

cool :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending