This discussion is closed.
ak763
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Done a few in my time, Cocaine, GHB, LSD and of course some of the wacky backy. I certainly wouldn't advice it to anyone; but then 17 year-old children don't tend to listen anyway...
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ladyshort4u)
:tsr:

Me and my friend were recently talking about drugs in the world

Who has ever done any sort of drug in their lives besides doctor prescribed drugs - I mean illegal and harmful drugs. Which ones have you taken, at what age and why?
Nope, I think i got high at a local festival from just being in the same music tent as a bunch of stoners... but that was unintentional... I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT WEED SMELLED LIKE!!!
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Evil Muffin)
True, the thing is loads of people have it drummed into them that all drugs are bad full stop. They don't consider differing experiences, etc.
Try living with a user for 10 years and see whay you think of drugs then
Hide
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by feedtheflamingo)
Personal liberty does not mean license to do whatever you want. Should a person be allowed to kill another because of "liberty" ? You don't advocate legalising drugs but it is your liberty to take them? So one can disregard laws because "liberty" usurps them?
No, of course they shouldn't be able to kill someone, because that infinges on the other person's right to live. But if someone wants to coke themselves up to the eyeballs at a party and have a great time, then good luck to them. However if said person starts breaking stuff and stabbing people with broken bottles, we have a problem. This is why it IS better to keep it illegal.

And yes, in an ideal world, certain laws can be disregarded because "liberty" usurps them. Unfortunately, this isn't an ideal world.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Evil Muffin)
I've never taken any seriously illegal drugs (smoked some marijuana, yes, but nothing more). However, last week I tried some stuff that goes by the name salvia divinorum (which bizarrely is legal), which I tried before over a year ago and its only effect was a bad taste. Last week though was a different matter: it had an effect immediately. I started laughing hysterically for about 2 minutes and was completely out of it. When I regained some sense of self, I noticed that the walls were moving. It was like LSD
Salvia can be nasty stuff - one of the few substances where your body becomes more effected each time you use it (rather than getting used to it like with most drugs)
olddeblasio
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And yes, in an ideal world, certain laws can be disregarded because "liberty" usurps them. Unfortunately, this isn't an ideal world.
But there is no definition of "liberty". It does not mean license to do what you want. It isn't even a real entity, there is no set "level" of liberty that a person should be allowed.
caffecooki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
just Es nd skunk and they wer only out of curiousity
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BlueAngel)
wtf, no way, that would just kill me probably.
So can glue sniffing probably.
Evil Muffin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
I was thinking more of marijuana, though I agree that constant use can turn people into apathetic drop-outs (have a friend who was going to be a music teacher, instead spent all his money on weed and skunk and instead of going to uni, quit his A Levels and continued working in a shop). However, I have another friend here at uni who is the most eloquent, smart guy and is engaged, yet he smokes stuff pretty much every day.
Obviously, if you're a regular user of class A drugs, then you have a serious problem.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i have a flatmate who has started smoking weed pretty much every night... and everyone in our flat can see it is now becomign a problem, she's been to hardly any lectures this semester (she's a medic) and those she has been to she can't remember.... even my flatmates who smoke it regularly (but more as a 'treat') are starting to worry about her, and it's now turned out she took ecstacy last week and is plannign on doing it agian this weekend

weed can have off effects- one of the guys here took it (only about 3/4 draws) and for a good 2/3 hours he said that he felt like he wanted to die every time he shut his eyes... pretty scary stuff

another guy i know ended up in mental institute when he and his friends tooka year out in australia and smoked too much weed... he;s almost better now but he basically had all the symptoms of schizophrenia

lou xxx
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by InterCity125)
Drugs are good. Pharmacology is my best physiology topic.
Pharm scares me.. all those side-effects & unexplained mechanisms & narrow therapuetic indexes etc.

& these are drugs that millions have been spent on researching & carrying out trials on.

the idea of taking something ellicit freaks me out entirely..

& i'm not sure how anyone can say such drugs are fine "in moderation" - there have been various reports of the low doses needed to result in permanent neurological changes, not to mention the acute risk of harm.

would those advocating the legalisation want to take out their own private healthcare insurance? which i think should be necessary if people wanted to indulge in such. reckless behaviours (before anyone responds with 'crossing the road is dangerous' etc. yes, i know.. but it's about relative levels).
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
& i'm not sure how anyone can say such drugs are fine "in moderation" - there have been various reports of the low doses needed to result in permanent neurological changes, not to mention the acute risk of harm.
Obviously when they say 'in moderation' they mean in the context before they become harmful. Cocaine is used in local anaesthetic.
NikolaiJ
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Where would our music industry be without class A drugs?? We'd live in a boring world.

I'm not one for that stuff, but I've smoked weed a bit... like anything like that it's too expensive to do much of, and generally too bad for me, I do too much sport to get F****d up with drugs.
Feef
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NikolaiJ)
Where would our music industry be without class A drugs?? We'd live in a boring world.

I'm not one for that stuff, but I've smoked weed a bit... like anything like that it's too expensive to do much of, and generally too bad for me, I do too much sport to get F****d up with drugs.
Bill Hicks
"See I think drugs have done some good things for us. If you don't think drugs have done good things for us then do me a favor. Go home tonight and take all of your records,tapes and all your CD's and burn them. Because, you know all those musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal ****ing high on drugs, man."

I take shrooms, I smoke weed, as do most of my friends. We're a group of people with Oxbridge offers and straight As, and another individual with his own company, proving very successful. Some of the best times I've had have been taking drugs with these people, a group which always looks out for one another and feels completely comfortable, as I believe that's the safest way to take drugs. I don't see them as a solution to a problem, a way out or anything like that, they're a recreational activity which we regulate and enjoy.

As for personal liberty not meaning you can do whatever you want, I'd say that it means exactly that - providing your behaviour does not infringe the rights of anyone else. I would support legalisation and better education, presenting individuals with the choice based on facts and experiences, not disinformation and the Leah Betts story rehashed once again.
ben3085
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've done:

Weed
Shrooms
1 line of coke
Ecstasy

Personally I'm of the opinion that as long as you know your own limits and when to call it a day, then drugs can be used responsibly as a recreational pursuit.
canuck
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ariel4)
i have never found it to be addictive, but then i think it depends on your personality. if they smoke it with tobacco, it could be the tobacco they r addicted to and not the weed, but they dont realise this (if they dont smoke normal ciggarettes that is).

Well, depends on the person. Weed is adictive. I have friends who need a doobie when the wake up in the morning or they feel like total **** and become *******s. Now, i call that addiction.
ben3085
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by canuck)
Well, depends on the person. Weed is adictive. I have friends who need a doobie when the wake up in the morning or they feel like total **** and become *******s. Now, i call that addiction.
Weed is mentally addictive, but not physically.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Obviously when they say 'in moderation' they mean in the context before they become harmful. Cocaine is used in local anaesthetic.
so, most people who take street cocaine are doing so because they feel they need some local anesthesia? :p:

i'm fairly aware of the therapeutic implications of drugs i should like to think -the Rang on my shelf is opened quite frequently..

in this context though the points were referring to 'recreationa'l drugs & it's these i don't see how they can be used 'in moderation'.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
so, most people who take street cocaine are doing so because they feel they need some local anesthesia? :p:

i'm fairly aware of the therapeutic implications of drugs i should like to think -the Rang on my shelf is opened quite frequently..

in this context though the points were referring to 'recreationa'l drugs & it's these i don't see how they can be used 'in moderation'.
to add to your point, they're slowly getting around to stopping the use of cocaine as a LA because of its effects on the cardiovascular system. not to mention the serious complications of hepatotoxicity, ischaemic cerebral attack, seizures, CNS depression and intestinal ischaemia.
Ariel4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
one of my friends has just gone through rehab cos he ****ed himself up on coke, that was bad enough, it must have been **** for you having to see someone that you live with go through it.

however i think that if my friend could have bought coke legally it may not have been a problem. the only reason he got so bad was that he started sellin it for somebody, and for each gram he sold hed get 1/2 gram free, so obviouvsly he took advantage of that. if it wasnt sold illegally i doubt he would have had that problem because it would not have been free so he would not have used so much and would not have become a addict.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
7.28%
They might tell the bully (26)
9.96%
I don't think they'd understand (42)
16.09%
It might lead to more bullying (95)
36.4%
There's nothing they could do (79)
30.27%

Watched Threads