The Student Room Group

rejection UCL for engineering

I just got rejected from UCL with predicted grades A*A*A (maths, further maths, A in physics) and I have achieved an A* in my first language which is Persian. I also had a great personal statement.
unfortunately, before applying I was very confident about getting an offer from UCL so I applied for 2 courses which are mech eng and EEE
they required an A*AA which is much lower than what I have (A*A*A*A) my question is if there are ppl with higher predictions why did they not make the entry requirement higher or add engineering maths or physics test?
Original post by amirlaj
I just got rejected from UCL with predicted grades A*A*A (maths, further maths, A in physics) and I have achieved an A* in my first language which is Persian. I also had a great personal statement.
unfortunately, before applying I was very confident about getting an offer from UCL so I applied for 2 courses which are mech eng and EEE
they required an A*AA which is much lower than what I have (A*A*A*A) my question is if there are ppl with higher predictions why did they not make the entry requirement higher or add engineering maths or physics test?

unfortunate thaat u got rejected, what was the reason for ur rejection? I got rejected cuz it was too competitve and other ppl were better...
Original post by amirlaj
I got rejected from UCL and accepted into Imperial; so I have no idea what planet they are on. I think they prefer internationals.

They said that my application wasn’t quite strong enough when I had achieved 4x A*s and 1x A. And I have pretty extreme extenuating circumstances and a solid personal statement with relevant work experience. Like be specific UCL; I’m genuinely intrigued. My course also isn’t that competitive compared to like econ, English lit and CS.

So I wouldn’t stress, UCL is just a weirdo.
Reply 3
that is what they tell everyone (Due to the strong quality of applications, competition is extremely high.)
what were your predictions and what was the course?
Original post by amirlaj
that is what they tell everyone (Due to the strong quality of applications, competition is extremely high.)
what were your predictions and what was the course?

Mech Eng Beng A*AB. I have alot of mates with ur predicteds who got rejected for engineering courses for the same reason. Like the other reply said, UCL seem to like international students for some reason, maybe because they pay like 3x more.
Reply 5
Original post by SorabreeZzZ
Mech Eng Beng A*AB. I have alot of mates with ur predicteds who got rejected for engineering courses for the same reason. Like the other reply said, UCL seem to like international students for some reason, maybe because they pay like 3x more.

but I am international😭😭😭
the thing that is making me mad is I want to stay in London. I have an offer from Manchester as well but I don’t want to go there.
Original post by amirlaj
but I am international😭😭😭
the thing that is making me mad is I want to stay in London. I have an offer from Manchester as well but I don’t want to go there.
what do you mean stay in London? How can you be an international then?

Manchester is better than UCL for engineering imo
Reply 7
Original post by lanky_giraffe

probs on holiday in london and wants to stay
Reply 8

Yh but my aunt she is here and also i like busy cities
Well UCL is better ranked university
Original post by amirlaj
Yh but my aunt she is here and also i like busy cities
Well UCL is better ranked university
Trust me, Manchester is a busy city. Yeah, UCL is better ranked, but they don’t treat their students very well.
had the exact same offer and was rejected from mech eng today, i agree with the person that said they prefer internationals since they pay higher fees
Trust me, Manchester is a busy city. Yeah, UCL is better ranked, but they don’t treat their students very well.

is manchester that good for mech eng? they are lower on complete uni guide tables. i also have an offer and deciding between manchester and edinburgh
Original post by amirlaj

Could it be because u applied for 2 courses in the same uni (thts the gist of it no?), i heard unis reject applicants if they see tht they've chosen 2 courses cuz it shows that the applicant isnt keen or sum yada yada bs
I got rejected from UCL and accepted into Imperial; so I have no idea what planet they are on. I think they prefer internationals.
They said that my application wasn’t quite strong enough when I had achieved 4x A*s and 1x A. And I have pretty extreme extenuating circumstances and a solid personal statement with relevant work experience. Like be specific UCL; I’m genuinely intrigued. My course also isn’t that competitive compared to like econ, English lit and CS.
So I wouldn’t stress, UCL is just a weirdo.

What course did you apply for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending