The Student Room Group

Retaking New A Levels in One Year

Im set for really bad grades this year at A Levels. I chose subjects I wasnt interested in. So I plan on doing RS, Politics and a 3rd A Level subject in one year through the UK Open Study College. Do you think this is viable?
Reply 1
Original post by ASN1234
Im set for really bad grades this year at A Levels. I chose subjects I wasnt interested in. So I plan on doing RS, Politics and a 3rd A Level subject in one year through the UK Open Study College. Do you think this is viable?

It is possible to take a gap year and study three new A levels. As long as you put in the hard work then you should be okay, and having an interest in your subjects will definitely help you stay motivated. I'm currently in Year 12 studying politics, philosophy and psychology, so I can tell you that politics is a lot of hard work and you'll have to really invest your energy into it if you want good grades. It's more so the external knowledge that is heavy and not actually the content on the syllabus (I do Edexcel B). You'll need to nail the essay structure early on to gain more marks. RS has some elements of philosophy in it and vice versa. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of Metaphysics of God as a topic, but if you're interested in the religious side of philosophy, this will appeal to you more. I don't know many people who study RS, but the few that I've spoken to seem to enjoy it. That being said, I don't think you should give up on your current A levels completely. Although you don't think you'll achieve good grades, there's no harm in trying. If you end up scoring well in the exam, then you may have one or two less A levels to study next year.

What subjects are you currently studying and what did you originally plan to do with them? What do you plan to do with your new subjects (e.g. apprenticeship, university)?

Best of luck to you!
Reply 2
Original post by bibachu
It is possible to take a gap year and study three new A levels. As long as you put in the hard work then you should be okay, and having an interest in your subjects will definitely help you stay motivated. I'm currently in Year 12 studying politics, philosophy and psychology, so I can tell you that politics is a lot of hard work and you'll have to really invest your energy into it if you want good grades. It's more so the external knowledge that is heavy and not actually the content on the syllabus (I do Edexcel B). You'll need to nail the essay structure early on to gain more marks. RS has some elements of philosophy in it and vice versa. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of Metaphysics of God as a topic, but if you're interested in the religious side of philosophy, this will appeal to you more. I don't know many people who study RS, but the few that I've spoken to seem to enjoy it. That being said, I don't think you should give up on your current A levels completely. Although you don't think you'll achieve good grades, there's no harm in trying. If you end up scoring well in the exam, then you may have one or two less A levels to study next year.
What subjects are you currently studying and what did you originally plan to do with them? What do you plan to do with your new subjects (e.g. apprenticeship, university)?
Best of luck to you!

Thank for answering! I plan do Computer Science, Sociology and Economics. But I really only like sociology. I have no idea what I was going to do with them, but I ended up applying for politics and IR. My new subjects that I plan on taking of Politics, RS, and probably English Language and Literature, with the UK Open Study College, with them I plan on either doing BA English Language and Literature, or BA Politics and International Relations (in that respective order).
Reply 3
Original post by ASN1234
Thank for answering! I plan do Computer Science, Sociology and Economics. But I really only like sociology. I have no idea what I was going to do with them, but I ended up applying for politics and IR. My new subjects that I plan on taking of Politics, RS, and probably English Language and Literature, with the UK Open Study College, with them I plan on either doing BA English Language and Literature, or BA Politics and International Relations (in that respective order).

Ignore the first word "plan".

Quick Reply

Latest