The Student Room Group

I regret my A level choices, will it ruin my future?

I currently study double business and IT for A levels and i realised that this course is not for me at all. I hate it. I’m almost done with the year so there is no way i can change my subjects now. However, i am predicted good grades. Does this mean that i have to continue studying something similar to business or IT in university or can i change and study something else that i would prefer?
Original post by i.a000
I currently study double business and IT for A levels and i realised that this course is not for me at all. I hate it. I’m almost done with the year so there is no way i can change my subjects now. However, i am predicted good grades. Does this mean that i have to continue studying something similar to business or IT in university or can i change and study something else that i would prefer?

Some courses will not be available to you; for example engineering, dentistry and mathematics would all expect you to have taken at least one required subject at A level.

However, there are many, many courses where they don't mandate specific A levels, or where your existing qualifications would meet their requirements (even though the degree might not be directly related to Business or IT).

The real question is: what do you want to study at university?

BTW, when you refer to "double business", is that BTEC Level 3 Diploma (worth the equivalent of 2 A levels)? And the IT qualification? A BTEC, an A level, or something else? I ask as (a) I've never heard of a double A level before, and (b) if these are BTECs you'll need to ensure you lookup the BTEC requirements at different universities rather than the A level requirements.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Some courses will not be available to you; for example engineering, dentistry and mathematics would all expect you to have taken at least one required subject at A level.
However, there are many, many courses where they don't mandate specific A levels, or where your existing qualifications would meet their requirements (even though the degree might not be directly related to Business or IT).
The real question is: what do you want to study at university?
BTW, when you refer to "double business", is that BTEC Level 3 Diploma (worth the equivalent of 2 A levels)? And the IT qualification? A BTEC, an A level, or something else? I ask as (a) I've never heard of a double A level before, and (b) if these are BTECs you'll need to ensure you lookup the BTEC requirements at different universities rather than the A level requirements.

Yes all my subjects are btecs. However, i do i want to do engineering if it is possible. Will a foundation year be an option for me?
Original post by i.a000
Yes all my subjects are btecs. However, i do i want to do engineering if it is possible. Will a foundation year be an option for me?

Yes, although there a few things that are going to make this a challenge.

1. You are exclusively taking BTECs. Many universities will accept BTECs for their engineering foundation courses, but only in conjunction with an A level or two.

2. You are taking two "smaller" BTECs (a Diploma, equivalent in size two two A levels, and an Extended Certificate, equivalent in size to one A level). Many universities will accept a BTEC-based application, but only if it's a BTEC Extended Diploma, equivalent in size to three A levels.

3. Your BTECs have no engineering content. Those universities which accept BTECs will often stipulate the the subject must be "relevant", or will specifically list the BTEC subjects they will accept.

That's not to say that you won't be able to find courses that will accept your BTECs, simply that you'll have to look harder to find them.

Do you know which branch of engineering you're interested in?
Reply 4
There are specific Foundation Year courses that enable you to change direction to Engineering at Uni - check the entry requirements carefully, and if necessary email the Uni with details of your specific combination of A levels/ BTEC etc. Examples :
Foundation Year Programme for Engineering - University of Birmingham
Engineering with a Foundation Year (BEng) - Undergraduate, University of York
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
Yes, although there a few things that are going to make this a challenge.
1. You are exclusively taking BTECs. Many universities will accept BTECs for their engineering foundation courses, but only in conjunction with an A level or two.
2. You are taking two "smaller" BTECs (a Diploma, equivalent in size two two A levels, and an Extended Certificate, equivalent in size to one A level). Many universities will accept a BTEC-based application, but only if it's a BTEC Extended Diploma, equivalent in size to three A levels.
3. Your BTECs have no engineering content. Those universities which accept BTECs will often stipulate the the subject must be "relevant", or will specifically list the BTEC subjects they will accept.
That's not to say that you won't be able to find courses that will accept your BTECs, simply that you'll have to look harder to find them.
Do you know which branch of engineering you're interested in?

Thanks, yes i understand my subjects do not align with engineering at all but there is no way i want to continue study anything related to business or IT in uni. However, i’ve had an interest for mechanical engineering. I know it requires maths which i don’t have. But I wouldn’t mind doing a foundation year for it. If it’s possible i would Definitely go for it
Original post by i.a000
Thanks, yes i understand my subjects do not align with engineering at all but there is no way i want to continue study anything related to business or IT in uni. However, i’ve had an interest for mechanical engineering. I know it requires maths which i don’t have. But I wouldn’t mind doing a foundation year for it. If it’s possible i would Definitely go for it

OK. So we're looking for a Mechanical Engineering course (possibly with a foundation year) which will be happy with your BTECs. Any other criteria? Are you focussing on a particular area of the country? Campus or city based? Also, will you looking to start uni this year or next?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending