Machiavels: must they all want to benefit the state?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Samantha **
Badges:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm writing an essay at the moment on King Lear, titled:

"If we can consider Edmund’s nature as evil, how far can we regard him as a Machiavellian character?"

I am having a little trouble with the second half, as I've encountered two opinions. Most consider Edmund as a Machiavellian character, as he is a "practised liar and a cruel political opportunist". Yet, I've recently found this note on a website:

Among several despicable characters in King Lear, Shakespeare's Edmund is the most villainous. In reality, however, he is not a true Machiavellian. Despite the horrible means used to reach his goal, the Machiavellian prince at least has admirable ends in mind--helping the state survive and the citizens flourish. In contrast, Shakespeare's Edmund has his own selfish interests in mind, not the community's.
So, because Edmund is only concerned with his own political advances, and not for the welfare of the state or its citizens, am I allowed to argue that he does not conform to the true Machiavellian character? What is everybody's opinion?

I am having great difficulty finding information not supporting Edmund as a Machiavel. Does anybody have any goods links, where I could research this a little more?

Thank you!
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Samantha **)
Thank you!
No probs
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Samantha **)
Hi everyone,

I'm writing an essay at the moment on King Lear, titled:

"If we can consider Edmund’s nature as evil, how far can we regard him as a Machiavellian character?"

I am having a little trouble with the second half, as I've encountered two opinions. Most consider Edmund as a Machiavellian character, as he is a "practised liar and a cruel political opportunist". Yet, I've recently found this note on a website:

So, because Edmund is only concerned with his own political advances, and not for the welfare of the state or its citizens, am I allowed to argue that he does not conform to the true Machiavellian character? What is everybody's opinion?

I am having great difficulty finding information not supporting Edmund as a Machiavel. Does anybody have any goods links, where I could research this a little more?

Thank you!
nature as evil, ie inherently evil
Machiavel not inherently evil - learned evil, evil as strategy
fionah
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
what I wrote made no sense sorry. I had edmund down as an example of the malcontent in jacobean/shakespearean drama though if that's and help!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by fionah)
what I wrote made no sense sorry. I had edmund down as an example of the malcontent in jacobean/shakespearean drama though if that's and help!!
What you said was, inadvertently, correct. Machiavels are only interested in themselves. Shakespeare's Richard III is the most infamous example who says in Henry VI pt3 (still as Duke of Gloucester) "I am, myself, alone".
Samantha **
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Thank you for all the comments.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (33)
9.79%
Okay (99)
29.38%
A bit lacking (122)
36.2%
Not good at all (83)
24.63%

Watched Threads