The Student Room Group

Student Finance - Independent Student

Can someone please tell me how I can apply for SF as an Independent Student? I can find loads of information on who is eligible (which I am) and what evidence is needed, but no actual instruction on HOW to apply. It's incredibly frustrating. Thank you - Rachel
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi there. There is questions on the application about why you are applying for independence, as there are different category's e.g. 3 years self-support, estrangement, care leaver etc.

We would then request specific evidence depending on the category.

What category have you applied for and I can advised what you need to send?

Thanks, Leah.
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. There is questions on the application about why you are applying for independence, as there are different category's e.g. 3 years self-support, estrangement, care leaver etc.
We would then request specific evidence depending on the category.
What category have you applied for and I can advised what you need to send?
Thanks, Leah.

My problem is where do I apply as an independent student? Do I do a normal application? Is there a different form I need to fill out? is it just a letter? It's not clear. I have put in a normal application form, but It never mentioned anything about being an independent student nor anything about the three separate categories. However, it also didn't ask for my parent's details. What I need to know is a link or form where I can actually apply for an independent student. Or some detailed instructions on the process, I am neurodivergent so the more detail the better please :smile:
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by TheArtEscapist
My problem is where do I apply as an independent student? Do I do a normal application? Is there a different form I need to fill out? is it just a letter? It's not clear. I have put in a normal application form, but It never mentioned anything about being an independent student nor anything about the three separate categories. However, it also didn't ask for my parent's details. What I need to know is a link or form where I can actually apply for an independent student. Or some detailed instructions on the process, I am neurodivergent so the more detail the better please :smile:

Hi there,

On section 7 (dependent and independent students) we ask questions regarding what your independent status would be. This is where you'd tick the option that applies to yourself and once the applications processing you would be asked for the evidence.

Have you already applied?

Thanks, Ross
I don't remember seeing any questions surrounding the three independent status questions. Are you referring to the general application for student finance 24/25 on the student finance website? Or are you referring to another application form for mature/independent students? Yes, I have written in my previous answer I have applied. The only evidence you are asking for is my birth certificate, nothing relating to my household income. Does that indicate I have done something wrong? I would call Student Finance, but I cannot afford the phone charges, and my website's webchat isn't working. Can you please send me a link to the correct form or DETAILED instructions on how to apply for student finance as an independent student? It's incredibly frustrating as I work full time and have various other projects I support, and I don't have time to run around the internet trying to find information that should be clear and easy to find. Thank you, any advice would be appreciated.
I don't remember seeing any questions surrounding the three independent status questions. Are you referring to the general application for student finance 24/25 on the student finance website? Or are you referring to another application form for mature/independent students? Yes, I have written in my previous answer I have applied. The only evidence you are asking for is my birth certificate, nothing relating to my household income. Does that indicate I have done something wrong? I would call Student Finance, but I cannot afford the phone charges, and my website's webchat isn't working. Can you please send me a link to the correct form or DETAILED instructions on how to apply for student finance as an independent student? It's incredibly frustrating as I work full time and have various other projects I support, and I don't have time to run around the internet trying to find information that should be clear and easy to find. Thank you, any advice would be appreciated.

If you've applied already then you'd need to contact us directly so we can check the application and email you the form over. We don't have account access on public forum.

You would either need to call 0300 100 0607 or keep trying to access the live chat.

Thanks, Ross
Original post by Ross SLC
If you've applied already then you'd need to contact us directly so we can check the application and email you the form over. We don't have account access on public forum.
You would either need to call 0300 100 0607 or keep trying to access the live chat.
Thanks, Ross

The live chat doesn't work on my account (as I mentioned above), and I CANNOT afford your calling rates. I have no disposable income; every penny is accounted for. We are in a cost-of-living crisis. I have rent to pay and mouths to feed, and I don't have the spare cash to spend on being on hold for 15 minutes. Is there any other way of getting in contact with yourselves so I can get this sorted?

I appreciate the support so far, Ross, and I also appreciate this isn't any fault of yours; I am just really struggling to make sense of this and could do with getting this sorted, so I have one less thing on my plate. Thank you, Rachel
The live chat doesn't work on my account (as I mentioned above), and I CANNOT afford your calling rates. I have no disposable income; every penny is accounted for. We are in a cost-of-living crisis. I have rent to pay and mouths to feed, and I don't have the spare cash to spend on being on hold for 15 minutes. Is there any other way of getting in contact with yourselves so I can get this sorted?
I appreciate the support so far, Ross, and I also appreciate this isn't any fault of yours; I am just really struggling to make sense of this and could do with getting this sorted, so I have one less thing on my plate. Thank you, Rachel

Hi Rachel,

We would need access to your account to send you the form. As it's public forum we unfortunately do not have access to accounts. The only way you'd be able to receive it is by one of the 2 methods I mentioned previously.

Thanks, Ross
Original post by Ross SLC
Hi Rachel,
We would need access to your account to send you the form. As it's public forum we unfortunately do not have access to accounts. The only way you'd be able to receive it is by one of the 2 methods I mentioned previously.
Thanks, Ross

That's great thank you Ross for the information. I appreciate it :smile:
You're welcome. Please let us know if we can assist with anything else. Thanks, David

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending