The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ucl clearing

Say for example on results day I excel my firm grades and call up UCL for a course like philosophy (or PPE but mainly philosophy because i know PPE is a lot more competitive) and ask if they have space on their course, what’s the likeliness that they would let me in?
That's not how clearing works. You can't just call up out of the blue if they aren't in clearing.

Universities will state on their webpage if they are participating in clearing, and which if any courses are available. You then need to clear their clearing hotline to ask if they can make you a verbal offer for that course.

Note that UCL has not historically participated in clearing and has only once to my knowledge participated in Clearing Plus (which is a separate process).

I would not expect UCL to be participating in regular clearing and I would not anticipate a popular course like PPE to be available through Clearing Plus if they are participating in that this year. I suspect even philosophy wouldn't be available.
(edited 1 month ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
That's not how clearing works. You can't just call up out of the blue if they aren't in clearing.
Universities will state on their webpage if they are participating in clearing, and which if any courses are available. You then need to clear their clearing hotline to ask if they can make you a verbal offer for that course.
Note that UCL has not historically participated in clearing and has only once to my knowledge participated in Clearing Plus (which is a separate process).
I would not expect UCL to be participating in regular clearing and I would not anticipate a popular course like PPE to be available through Clearing Plus if they are participating in that this year. I suspect even philosophy wouldn't be available.

UCL is currently on vacancies though for some courses and i’ve been told the courses on vacancies are most likely to be on clearing on results day. I have looked at some of them and I would be interested. Also some people might insure UCL so why wouldn’t they have space?
Original post by Anonymous
UCL is currently on vacancies though for some courses and i’ve been told the courses on vacancies are most likely to be on clearing on results day. I have looked at some of them and I would be interested. Also some people might insure UCL so why wouldn’t they have space?

Bear in mind UCL still has 3 weeks to continue making offers - and are well known to make offers right up until the end of that period. It's very likely they will fill the remaining vacancies in the next few weeks, or the majority of them. Also just because they have vacancies doesn't necessarily mean they will go into clearing. As noted, they haven't historically done so, and have only used Clearing Plus (where their courses are matched to students in UCAS and there's no clearing hotline to call).

Also while people will put UCL as an insurance choice, some of those will invariably not meet the requirements of their first choice and go to UCL. Universities don't only make one offer per "space" available - they model the likely yield of students who will either make them their firm or insurance choice and how many of those will end up achieving the offer (either as firm or insurance). It's an entire process they manage to minimise the number of "gaps" in courses. Since they can't perfectly predict that invariably there may be small fluctuations year on year, and this will have been the case for basically ever.

So unless a large course drastically under-recruits for some reason it's really unlikely that they'd need to go into clearing. Note that even a number of years ago when there were COVID issues and a demographic drop (due to fewer births in a certain year leading to fewer school leavers that year) they still didn't go into clearing (although stated they may).

Ultimately you can't plan ahead like this for clearing. There's no guarantee any provider or course will be in clearing (and in this case, pretty strong factors suggesting they won't be), and so you just need to wait until results day and see what is available and if you are able to call in first and get a verbal offer. There is a large amount of luck involved in clearing. You absolutely should not be holding any expectations for clearing even when not trying to target a university that has to date never entered clearing proper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending