The Student Room Group

how to address an email

I haven't been ably to log on to apply for accommodation at my firm choice uni, and so am going to send an email to the address listed at the bottom of the page that gave me the info to log on initially

I have literally no idea how to address the email as it's not to a specific person, but is still a formal email. Help would be (REALLY) appreciated
Reply 1
It doesn’t really matter, I would do something like ‘To: University Accommodation’ and then your message. There will be someone responsible for replying to emails and when they do you will have a name to correspond with
Reply 2
Original post by yogo1o
I haven't been ably to log on to apply for accommodation at my firm choice uni, and so am going to send an email to the address listed at the bottom of the page that gave me the info to log on initially
I have literally no idea how to address the email as it's not to a specific person, but is still a formal email. Help would be (REALLY) appreciated

It might be an email to someone you don't know, but this is really not what I'd call a "formal" email.

Simply starting the email with "Hi" would be perfectly acceptable in this context. In fact, anything more formal than just "Hi" would make me raise my eyebrows.

So it would be perfectly fine to write something like:

"Hi

"I'm trying to log in to the accommodation system but it's not accepting the logon info that was provided to me. I'm trying to use this username: XXXXXX and the password I was sent.

"Could you check whether this has been set up correctly, and what else I can try?

"Thanks

"yogo1o"

It might help if you attach a screen shot of the logon screen with your details entered, and a copy of the screen after your logon fails. Sometimes information like that will help the person replying to the message identify what the problem might be. Check that if you're copying-and-pasting the username and password that you're not also copying a leading or trailing space character. I've seen that happen before.

Quick Reply