The Student Room Group

Uni experience

Which uni will give me a better experience, going to the uni of birmingham or the uni of liverpool?
That depends on what you’re looking for from the experience.

What do you think are the pros and cons for each?
Original post by Alexxxx69
Which uni will give me a better experience, going to the uni of birmingham or the uni of liverpool?

Hi there,

It's great that you're considering these universities!

In terms of a 'better experience', it all depends on what you are looking for. Do you mean a better student life (nightlife, sports and societies, etc)? Better career prospects? More work experience opportunities?

It might be a good idea to chat with current students to see what they think. Here are the links for Birmingham and for Liverpool. You might be able to find someone from your hometown, studying the same subject, or with the same interests, so they might be able to give you a better answer.

I hope this helps,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
Original post by Alexxxx69

Hello!

That is a great question- both of the unis are fab so i can definitely understand why it is a difficult choice for you!

It can be really helpful to consider the main parts of uni that you are concerned about. For most people, this will be the course, social life and job opportunities.

It might be a good idea to download the course breakdown for both of the unis (this should be available online) and compare which one looks more appealing to you. Things to consider could be contact hours, assessment format (coursework/exam split) and course content. Some websites like WhatUni allow you to see the reviews from past students which can help give a bit more insight to what it is like to study your course. This website is also a great place to make connections and ask those questions to current students or alumni.

Social media can also be a really great tool for looking into the social life of student at each uni. I would recommend having a look on different society pages and seeing what people get up to there.

Have you visited either uni? Attending an offer holder or open day can help you get a feel for the campus, chat to current students and lecturers and see a glimpse of what it would be like to study in that city. If not, lots of unis often have videos on youtube of campus tours or chats with students. These might be helpful to watch :smile:

At the end of the day, you need to make the decision that you feel is right for you. Don't let other people's opinions sway you too much, as it will be you that will be living there. You have plenty of time to make your choice- don't panic!

All the best,

Lucy
2nd year languages student
Reply 4
Birmingham. Student satisfaction may be only 1% higher on www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk but Birmingham has higher entry standards, better research quality and research intensity. It's in a different league to Liverpool for most subjects. Birmingham has more shopping and a bigger variety of places not far away too.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest