The Student Room Group

QMUL vs University of Manchester Law

Hi so I currently hold an offer from Queen Mary and the University of Manchester for Law (LLB), however I am struggling to make a decision between these two schools. On one hand Queen Mary seems to have a higher ranking for Law (according to QS rankings) than Manchester, and due to its location will likely be able to give me more opportunities to connect with the Law firms in London (especially Magic Circle firms).

However reading many forums and asking around, it seems that Queen Mary's reputation amongst students (even some Law students) is not very good, with some even saying that Manchester is a comparatively better choice.

Is there any advice that could be given?
Reply 1
Original post by cht10
Hi so I currently hold an offer from Queen Mary and the University of Manchester for Law (LLB), however I am struggling to make a decision between these two schools. On one hand Queen Mary seems to have a higher ranking for Law (according to QS rankings) than Manchester, and due to its location will likely be able to give me more opportunities to connect with the Law firms in London (especially Magic Circle firms).
However reading many forums and asking around, it seems that Queen Mary's reputation amongst students (even some Law students) is not very good, with some even saying that Manchester is a comparatively better choice.

Not going to university in London doesn't mean that your opportunities are significantly limited. Be aware that many firms will often hold events at their target universities and have campus reps to promote their firm. Manchester is still a big city with a very good reputation for law. Also note that QS rankings rank UK universities based on their global rankings, not their UK rankings. There are different global factors considered in QS rankings, so if you're looking specifically for UK rankings, there are lots of UK specific rankings, such as The Complete University Guide league tables, that can give you some other perspectives. On this table, Manchester actually ranks 13th for law and QMUL ranks 15th, so the difference is not drastic. You should think more about which university you would rather attend. Forget about rankings for a moment - where would you feel the most comfortable?
Reply 2
Original post by cht10

I just checked the QS ranking and Manchester is ranked way higher. QMUL is 145 and UOM is 32. Or is this subject specific? But I’m pretty sure Manchester is overall better than qmul, but I doubt it’ll make a huge difference for law firms.
Reply 3
Original post by bibachu
Not going to university in London doesn't mean that your opportunities are significantly limited. Be aware that many firms will often hold events at their target universities and have campus reps to promote their firm. Manchester is still a big city with a very good reputation for law. Also note that QS rankings rank UK universities based on their global rankings, not their UK rankings. There are different global factors considered in QS rankings, so if you're looking specifically for UK rankings, there are lots of UK specific rankings, such as The Complete University Guide league tables, that can give you some other perspectives. On this table, Manchester actually ranks 13th for law and QMUL ranks 15th, so the difference is not drastic. You should think more about which university you would rather attend. Forget about rankings for a moment - where would you feel the most comfortable?

Ahh I see... I feel like overall the atmosphere of Manchester seems to be a lot better than QMUL. Though it might be an unfair comparison because I've visited the QMUL campus before whilst I only saw images/videos of the campus in Manchester. However, what's pulling me towards staying in London is due to the fact that I already know some people who are in London/who are going to London unis which might make it easier for me to settle there. So it's definitely a tough choice even without considering the academic side 😭 Thank you for your insight!!!!
Reply 4
Original post by Glablele
I just checked the QS ranking and Manchester is ranked way higher. QMUL is 145 and UOM is 32. Or is this subject specific? But I’m pretty sure Manchester is overall better than qmul, but I doubt it’ll make a huge difference for law firms.

Yep Manchester's overall ranking/reputation is better than QMUL, but for Law QMUL (on QS rankings) ranks higher. Although now I've realised that Manchester and QMUL rankings for Law can vary on other sources
Original post by cht10

Hi there, what is your source for comparing the ranking? I am looking at QS Ranking and Manchester is ranked #32 and QMUL is ranked #145 in law subjects. You might want to look at University of Edinburgh ranked #22 if you are flexible with the location as its very reputed internationally.

You've heard right about QMUL, not worth it..my 2 cents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending