The Student Room Group

Error in Bibliography Formatting: how important?

So I'm a first-year law student and submitted one of my summative assignments (a problem qs) yesterday. Being the absolute idiot that I am, I forgot to properly format my table of cases as per the OSCOLA format. My footnote referencing is perfect, but I copied all the footnotes, removed the case-name italicization, and arranged them in alphabetical order. However, I forgot to remove the full stops at the end of the cases and also didn't remove the pinpointing in cases. So my table of cases ends up looking like this:

R v R [1991] 1 WLR 123, 178 (HL).

Given that I didn't remove my full stops and also ended up leaving some pinpointing in the bibliography, how many marks do you think I'll end up losing? Anyone who's been in a similar situation?
Original post by anaveragekid
So I'm a first-year law student and submitted one of my summative assignments (a problem qs) yesterday. Being the absolute idiot that I am, I forgot to properly format my table of cases as per the OSCOLA format. My footnote referencing is perfect, but I copied all the footnotes, removed the case-name italicization, and arranged them in alphabetical order. However, I forgot to remove the full stops at the end of the cases and also didn't remove the pinpointing in cases. So my table of cases ends up looking like this:
R v R [1991] 1 WLR 123, 178 (HL).
Given that I didn't remove my full stops and also ended up leaving some pinpointing in the bibliography, how many marks do you think I'll end up losing? Anyone who's been in a similar situation?

Hi there!

While I am not a law student, I had something similar happen to me in my first year of studying Primary Education where I wrote my reference list completely wrong and did not use the correct format without realising. As you are in first year and likely new to these formats, tutors tend to be lenient with this and would not penalise you significantly for a mistake like that.

Hopefully that eases your mind a little bit and you are happy with your assignment results! Good luck with the rest of first year 🙂

Rachel - YSJ student rep

Quick Reply