Reply 2
Irish speak like they have potatoes in their mouths
English - Scousers. They're so funny. :biggrin:

As for overall, the Aussie's and Irish have cool accents. :smile:
Reply 4
j4mes_bond25
Further to the recent BBC's online poll about favourite accent:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4180373.stm

I was just wondering as whose accent tickles the fancy of TSR members around ???

My favourite local one is a plummy accent as of Huge Grant (voted 4th favourite accent) & as far as international accent is concerned, I can't think of anyone speaking as wonderfully as Irish.

I personally love well spoken accents, they just give such an air of intelligence that seems to be lost with the common tongue that most in my area seem to favour.
how about a poll.
Reply 6
Yeah I agree that scousers have cool accents. Just listening to Jamie Carragher makes me laugh! Geordie accents are cool too, my cousin has one and it is so sweet!
Reply 7
wiwarin_mir
I personally love well spoken accents, they just give such an air of intelligence that seems to be lost with the common tongue that most in my area seem to favour.

Same as above really. I get imensly irritated by the bristolian accent and constantly correct people.
Any one that pronouces the T in water is a God send in my area.
To find someone that doesn't use the slang, pronouces everything correctly and is willing to have an intelligent conversation is becoming very rare. Shame.
Reply 8
BlueAngel
how about a poll.

Being rather new here (just joined today) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t89375.html I was rather unsure as whether it would make sense in having a Poll here, as there are various accent around not just within UK but around the world, so what options could I've put, IF I was to do the poll.
Reply 9
Luize
Same as above really. I get imensly irritated by the bristolian accent and constantly correct people.
To find someone that doesn't use the slang, pronouces everything correctly and is willing to have an intelligent conversation is becoming very rare. Shame.

I say 'water' with a 't' :biggrin:
j4mes_bond25
Being rather new here (just joined today) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t89375.html I was rather unsure as whether it would make sense in having a Poll here, as there are various accent around not just within UK but around the world, so what options could I've put, IF I was to do the poll.

yeah I see what you mean, there are thousands of different accents.
Forget the poll, takes too much time.
Luize

Luckily you can retreat online, although then you miss out of the lingual bliss of hearing such a well spoken melody.
Reply 12
Luize

I must agree with you there, as missing "t" in water, butter, etc. seems to have become quite a trend now, even in county like Leicestershire. This whole missing "t" concept has its origin in London, but seems to have become rather popular cos of being used in TV programmes, etc. a lot.

I prefer someone who speeks at a speed of 30wpm (built-up area speed), as opposed to someone speaking at a speed of 70wpm (motorway speed) or indeed more than that (like someone driving a rather fast sports car). Of course, the speech SHOULD make sense, more importantly along with having a good rhythm, rather than rambling at a constant same speed.

I was once used to work in a bank's call centre & came across various different accent while making sales call all over the country & found it not quite easy to understand Scottish Highland accent, especially when they speak rather fast.
Reply 13
Luize

A nice Westcountry accent is so soothing though :smile: *obviously biased*
Australian :smile:
blissy
A nice Westcountry accent is so soothing though :smile: *obviously biased*

A west country accent is highly annoying for some reason, I am not sure what it is though.
Reply 16
wiwarin_mir
A west country accent is highly annoying for some reason, I am not sure what it is though.

Only if it's someone like Vicky Pollard! It's soooooo lolling and gorgeous and mmmmm I loves it I does :smile: (it's more like Sam from LOTR than Vicky Pollard!)
Reply 17
Newfoundlander's have neat accents. You have to hear them in person, its quite unique.
Reply 18
canuck
Newfoundlander's have neat accents. You have to hear them in person, its quite unique.

I think it is one of the funniest accents I've ever heard!
Reply 19
I think the welsh accent is very nice. Girl with welsh accents sounds very sexy, a la Charlotte Church.

Latest

Trending

Trending