This discussion is closed.
mrsC
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
[QUOTE=Everdawn]yeah its an accent as wellQUOTE]

I'm told that Afrikaans has many truely different accents and dialects. A bit like any language except people have more difficulty understand between dialects and also learning it as a language is hard because there is no accepted form or pronounciation unlike English for example. There is also a lot of English used in some Afrikaans dialects.
Natalie Lane
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Aitch)
just look under this c!

ç

Aitch
ok :confused:
it's called "cedilha" and quite commonly used here...
(Just in case you were wondering...
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
[QUOTE=mrsC]
(Original post by Everdawn)
yeah its an accent as wellQUOTE]

I'm told that Afrikaans has many truely different accents and dialects. A bit like any language except people have more difficulty understand between dialects and also learning it as a language is hard because there is no accepted form or pronounciation unlike English for example. There is also a lot of English used in some Afrikaans dialects.
The can sound different depending on which part of RSA you live in. and yes, there is a lot of English used in it. For instance, my Afrikaans is not crash hot but if I am listening to someone talking afrikaans you can usually get the jist of what they are talking about.

I know other South Africans who dont speak Afrikaans and they do ok at it, you have ot remember there are like 13 official languages there.
selkie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I really adore "posh" English accents (London etc.), "posh" Scottish accents (Edinburgh for example), New Zealand accents, and Australian accents.
Sarah7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I love the Irish accent. I have a maths lecturer at uni who's Irish and it even makes Matrices that little bit more interesting!

How can Billy Connolly be one of the most hated accents? - I love his voice, it's great!
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Makavelli_07)
Aussie's have cool accents.
Woo! Tho on that, I can't stand the bogan version of the accent, it's like *cringe* Lucky for me, mine's very a la "Neighbours" :p:
danni_bella
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by selkie)
New Zealand accents
:eek:
danni_bella
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sarah7)
How can Billy Connolly be one of the most hated accents?
lol!
canuck
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by danni_bella83)
Woo! Tho on that, I can't stand the bogan version of the accent, it's like *cringe* Lucky for me, mine's very a la "Neighbours" :p:
Ya, our Australian exchange student sounded quite neat. I had a hard tim distinguishing his accent from the New Zealander the year before. Although, i dont hav much experience of the outside world. They have to come here or appear on TV.
danni_bella
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by canuck)
Ya, our Australian exchange student sounded quite neat. I had a hard tim distinguishing his accent from the New Zealander the year before. Although, i dont hav much experience of the outside world. They have to come here or appear on TV.
You just reminded me, that's another accent I like: Canadian It's cute, I think, and nicer than the mainstream North American accent :rolleyes: :cool:
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I quite like the Dublin accent. Also the Russian/Belarus/Ukrainian ones too.
danni_bella
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sianie)
I really love a Welsh accent, although at times it can b a little hard to understand!
Yeah, they're good too Esp half-Aussie half-Welsh accents Not that I'm being biased or anything :p: Lol, one of my besties is originally from Wales - she was born in Cardiff :cool: Lived here for 5 or 6 years now, so the accents left for the most part, but some words she says are said quite distinctively.
Aeris
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Refused)
german accents? come one, everyone love german accents :hello:
Um....suddenly I can't remember what a German accent sounds like anymore.
DRWallace
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Scottish Welsh and Irish for me.
*Joanna*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A mild Scouse accent like my ex boyfriend makes me a bit wobbly, but not a strong one becuase I can't understand it. As for people with nice accents, John Hannah is the one Scottish accent I like, not sure why. And Colin Firth; he's not quite as posh as Hugh Grant so he sounds very intelligent, but not too snobbish! However, I can't stand thick West Cumbrian, à la Workington or Whitehaven- dreadful!
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Everdawn)
yeah its an accent as well, its a mix between dutch and french. But you couldnt go to Holland and start speaking Afrikaans becuase all structure of sentences etc is all wrong.I dont mind it, my cousins are afrikaaners.

The only american accent I like is the Boston one, apart from that the Irish and Scottish rock!
Afrikaans is originally a Dutch dialect spoken by the inhabitants of the Dutch Cape colonies: mostly Dutch and German and quite a few Huguenots (French protestants who also emigrated to Britain, the USA and other places) and the many slaves that the colonials brought.
Until the Brits came in and sorted these slave-workers out by introducing concentration camps during the two Boer wars.
mrsC
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
Afrikaans is originally a Dutch dialect spoken by the inhabitants of the Dutch Cape colonies: mostly Dutch and German and quite a few Huguenots (French protestants who also emigrated to Britain, the USA and other places) and the many slaves that the colonials brought.
Until the Brits came in and sorted these slave-workers out by introducing concentration camps during the two Boer wars.
The history of Afrikaans is not all as important as what it is today. It is an official language. However sadly since the fall of apartheid it is fast becoming a marginalised language. That is that most companies now stipulate that prospective employees must speak at least one black african language eg causa. Due to this change and the fact that the coloured community (not black - there is a difference!) that speak Afrikaans and English but no black languages they are or feel at least that they are being pushed out of South Africa as they are not getting jobs. This can also be seen in the President's inauguration ceromony last year now in South Africa you are either black or white not coloured.
xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hehe people love welsh accents!
bellacoco
Report 14 years ago
What do you think about the way Americans speak?? Do you like their accent?
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I like most foreigners accents when they try to speak english :cool: Notably Germans Go Germans!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads