The Student Room Group

A levels for law

I’m going to sixth form soon and don’t know what a levels to pick. I want to study law at a Russel group university in the future and don’t know what a levels to pick. My current options are: English lit, geography and politics. I definitively do not want to do history because I haven’t done it at gcse and it doesn’t interest me. Is this a good subject combination?
Original post by IsabelleStones
I’m going to sixth form soon and don’t know what a levels to pick. I want to study law at a Russel group university in the future and don’t know what a levels to pick. My current options are: English lit, geography and politics. I definitively do not want to do history because I haven’t done it at gcse and it doesn’t interest me. Is this a good subject combination?

When it comes to law.. universities want to see primarily essay subjects and the fact you can display critical analysis and research skills (many of these essay subjects consist of coursework that will help you develop these skills)

In situations like this visiting UCAS or the website of universities you would like to go to can give you a good idea of where to start:

https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/courses?searchTerm=law&studyYear=2024&destination=Undergraduate&postcodeDistanceSystem=imperial&pageNumber=1&sort=MostRelevant&clearingPreference=None

Also this website may come in handy:

https://www.dldcollege.co.uk/2023/07/24/a-guide-to-choosing-the-best-a-level-subject-combinations-to-study-law-at-university/

Good luck with your law journey💙
It doesn’t matter what subjects you do AFAIK
(edited 1 month ago)
Could anyone here send me solved law essays for alevel syllabus 2023-2024. questions like this:Critically evaluate the offences of fraud under the fraud act 2006. (25) marker
There are NO required subjects for Law - you just need 3 high grades.
You could be doing 3 science/maths subjects, it would still be perfectly okay.
Some people find taking an essay-based subject like, History, Politics, English, useful for skills (and LNAT) but this is NOT essential.

Pick 3 subjects you will enjoy studying and where you are confident of achieving high grades.
And do some research into the reality of studying Law at Uni - is it really what you want to do.
Reply 5
Original post by IsabelleStones

Lawyers come from many backgrounds. I once met a solicitor at a Magic Circle Firm who came from a STEM background - as in, he had a degree in a science subject. Employers prefer diversity, but Russell Groups prefer at least one essay-subject A Level. Just make sure your critical thinking skills are good enough to pass the LNAT.

-Take an essay subject
-Practice LNAT
-Don't be afraid to follow your passions
Original post by k59533
Lawyers come from many backgrounds. I once met a solicitor at a Magic Circle Firm who came from a STEM background - as in, he had a degree in a science subject. Employers prefer diversity, but Russell Groups prefer at least one essay-subject A Level. Just make sure your critical thinking skills are good enough to pass the LNAT.
-Take an essay subject
-Practice LNAT
-Don't be afraid to follow your passions

Where do you get this idea about preferring an essay-based subject?
It isn't true.
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
It isn't true.

University of Oxford's website for Law admissions. When I read it two years ago there was a colour-based system for essential and preferred criteria. It might still be the same way.
Reply 8
It isn't true.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/law-jurisprudence

Law (Course I)
Helpful:
An essay subject can be helpful when completing this course but is not required for admission.
Original post by k59533
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/law-jurisprudence
Law (Course I)
Helpful:
An essay subject can be helpful when completing this course but is not required for admission.

Oxford only. Helpful for skills and not preferred or even recommended - and not 'all RG Unis' as you claim.
Please do not mislead others with sweeping statements that have no basis in fact.
Reply 10
Oxford only. Helpful for skills and not preferred or even recommended - and not 'all RG Unis' as you claim.
Please do not mislead others with sweeping statements that have no basis in fact.

Hey man if it floats your boat I'll say I agree with you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending