The Student Room Group

Should TikTok get banned?

(edited 1 month ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zack19002006
the united states is banning TikTok how are you feeling about this

Its a way of censoring americans...they only want american-owned companies so they can control the narrative
the united states is banning TikTok how are you feeling about this

I wouldn’t be opposed to it despite having an account, would probably be relieved/happy about this if anything.

It’s probably the only social media I’d ban though.
But this has been said for years (that TikTok would be banned in the USA) but that hasn’t happened yet.
Original post by Talkative Toad
I wouldn’t be opposed to it despite having an account, would probably be relieved/happy about this if anything.

i don't want it ban I make a lot of videos on there
i don't want it ban I make a lot of videos on there

I see. I personally agree with India on this one or I just wouldn’t care as to whether the app got banned or not.
I see. I personally agree with India on this one or I just wouldn’t care as to whether the app got banned or not.
if it gets ban there's going be lets of protesting and we don't need that to happen
Geopolitics. Although, the old fart in me would ban all social media amongst many other things.
(edited 1 month ago)
if it gets ban there's going be lets of protesting and we don't need that to happen

Yeah but you asked how I feel about this and I personally feel indifferent/I’m not opposed to a ban.

If this was any other social media excluding X maybe then I might be more opposed to a ban.

Will there? These things come and go.
I'm surprised it's taken this long I said it would happen within the year a couple of years ago. It was always a risk in a hostile situation with China to have an app that popular owned by a company that is ultimately answerable to the Chinese government.

Looking forward to Instagram Reels becoming innovative rather than where reuploaded TikToks go to die... :lol:
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I'm surprised it's taken this long I said it would happen within the year a couple of years ago. It was always a risk in a hostile situation with China to have an app that popular owned by a company that is ultimately answerable to the Chinese government.

Looking forward to Instagram Reels becoming innovative rather than where reuploaded TikToks go to die... :lol:

I agree (also the amount of silly takes and conspiracy theories I see on TikTok is too much).

That being said re last bit, it’s a shame that social media companies are copying each other so much. I remember the days when one social media served one specific purpose (Instagram for photos, YouTube for normal videos, TikTok for short form videos, Snapchat for stories, X and Reddit for discussion, WhatsApp and Facebook for messaging etc) rather than the present day where social media platforms trying to become everything.
Oh no...how will I live.

The app was created by the Chinese...it should be just for them.

Same with other platforms... every country have their own and stop sharing.
(edited 1 month ago)

Why would you want it to be banned? (As opposed to e.g. just deleting your own account?)
Original post by tazarooni89
Why would you want it to be banned? (As opposed to e.g. just deleting your own account?)

fr people are hating on others who actually makes videos
Yes, ban that ****. Not cos of them selling data to China but because *****ok is a cancer on society.
Original post by Guru Jason
Yes, ban that ****. Not cos of them selling data to China but because *****ok is a cancer on society.

bro china does see are data they don't have rights to do that and plus how do you even if there spying on us you don't have proof
Given how fast the algorithm moves, it’s addictive nature & how content is personal, I do think it’s not suitable for minors given how quickly viral content which pushes content which encourages harmful & dangerous activity (even if they have a specially tuned version, so i have no problem with a ban for u18s).

Ultimately past 18 people are adults & whilst young adults are still easily influenced, naive & immature - i do support people’s rights to freedom.

My understanding is a lot of the tiktok ban is more related to its ownership & investors & concerns they are influencing and pushing propaganda. TBH I don’t have enough information on the Chinese investment to know if they have ties to the CCP or not, and if they are aiming to influence content for geopolitical reasons. I have to assume the politicians in Washington do have genuine concerns & they have the benefit of communications with the federal defense & security organizations.
Original post by mnot
Given how fast the algorithm moves, it’s addictive nature & how content is personal, I do think it’s not suitable for minors given how quickly viral content which pushes content which encourages harmful & dangerous activity (even if they have a specially tuned version, so i have no problem with a ban for u18s).
Ultimately past 18 people are adults & whilst young adults are still easily influenced, naive & immature - i do support people’s rights to freedom.
My understanding is a lot of the tiktok ban is more related to its ownership & investors & concerns they are influencing and pushing propaganda. TBH I don’t have enough information on the Chinese investment to know if they have ties to the CCP or not, and if they are aiming to influence content for geopolitical reasons. I have to assume the politicians in Washington do have genuine concerns & they have the benefit of communications with the federal defense & security organizations.

yeah but where's that going to get us there are people who are artists and make a lot of good videos if TikTok gets ban were does it leave them TikTok is way better then instagram
bro china does see are data they don't have rights to do that and plus how do you even if there spying on us you don't have proof

Bro, every government spies on everyone. I just don't give a crap. We should ban *****ok for bing a cancer regardless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending