The Student Room Group

Aberdeen or Stirling uni for French and Spanish joint degree

Hi has anyone got informed views on whether Aberdeen or Stirling uni would be better for a joint languages degree with a year abroad?

DD got unconditionals for both. Will one give better job prospects etc? Has one got a better language department/ reputation than the other? She’s struggling to decide.

Thanks!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Look closely at the course content for each Uni - for all years of the course.
Think about which optional units you would actually choose if you went there.

For Languages, you also need to check the balance between language and literature, and the inclusion of history/culture etc - what is the emphasis - is it literally 'language' or more 'country studies'. Also, is it 'and' each language in the degree title (50/50 split) or 'with' (the second language as a minor subject).

Also, what are the Study Abroad options - you should be able to find this info on the Uni website, if you can't then just email and ask. Is it a year at Uni, or are there options for working as a language assistant in a school etc? Is it just one 'abroad' or can you spend time in each country? Only you can decide which is 'better' amongst all these options.

Finally, if you went to an Open Day, think about what you felt about the environment and atmosphere at each Uni - where feels the most comfortable for you? If you need a refresher, go and walk around each Uni/town if you can, or look for campus tours films on YouTube.
Original post by *JayDee*
Hi has anyone got informed views on whether Aberdeen or Stirling uni would be better for a joint languages degree with a year abroad?
DD got unconditionals for both. Will one give better job prospects etc? Has one got a better language department/ reputation than the other? She’s struggling to decide.
Thanks!
Hi, this is the University of Aberdeen rep account. Congratulations to DD on both of her offers! I understand picking a university is a very personal choice but I can try to provide some advice along with some information about what we offer at Aberdeen.

I would recommend that she has a look around this site for students of each of the unis she has offers from to see what the general consensus is.
It's also worth thinking about the cities and what appeals to her. Does she want to be close to or far away from home, does she want to be in a big or small city, are there things/places in that city that she's interested in or will be good for any hobbies; those sorts of factors should definitely be on the applicant's mind as well as the actual courses of each of the universities. I understand as (I assume) a parent that job prospects are a concern but it's also important to have a think about these personal factors. If it's of interest though we do have a careers service which offers support on finding employment during uni and beyond: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/careers/
Then it would be worth having a look on each of our websites to see what appeals to you about the courses eg. course content, projects you will get to do through your degree, prospects upon graduation, that sort of thing. It might be of interest to have a look through the School of Language, Literature, Music and Visual Culture's webpages here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/sll/index.php

As for studying abroad it is certainly something we try to support for those studying with us that want to. For more information on going abroad while studying with us you can look here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/study-abroad-and-exchanges.php

I hope this information has been useful and all the best with coming to a decision! If there are any more questions about Aberdeen then please just let us know.

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Quick Reply