The Student Room Group

What To Say in an Interview for a part /temp job

Im almost 22 and have never had a job outside of a volunteer job i had for 3 months at 15. Im in college but i need a job like a temporary or part time job but Im scared that because of my age i won't be able to get hired because of years of no work experience. Is it possible for me to get hired at almost 22 with no work experience / what would i make up as an excuse in a job interview? I feel like it is almost too late for me for some reason I shouldve started at 18-19 at the latest.
Original post by angelic-roadbloc
Im almost 22 and have never had a job outside of a volunteer job i had for 3 months at 15. Im in college but i need a job like a temporary or part time job but Im scared that because of my age i won't be able to get hired because of years of no work experience. Is it possible for me to get hired at almost 22 with no work experience / what would i make up as an excuse in a job interview? I feel like it is almost too late for me for some reason I shouldve started at 18-19 at the latest.

Is there a particular reason that you've "never had a job outside of a volunteer job"?

The fact that you ask "what would i make up as an excuse in a job interview?" suggests that your plan is mislead them as to the real reason. Is that right?

Do they know your age (from your application)? If so, then it's clearly not an issue, else they wouldn't have invited your for interview.
Reply 2
You don't need work experience necessarily to get a job, you need transferable skills. Have you volunteered, been on a committee, done charity fundraising, mentored, anything in or out of school that gave you experience of team-work, responsibilities, organisation? That's what you can offer to employers.

However, as above, you need to have a genuine explanation about why you haven't worked between leaving school and starting college.

Quick Reply