Turn on thread page Beta

Hello....i am a yr11 student in an ordinary state school, and i wish to move to the local grammar school for sixth form. However, people keep telling me that if i go to a grammar school uni's will expect higher grades from me. Like if i wanted to get onto a BBB course i would have to have BBB, where as some1 from a normal school might be allowed a BBC or BCC. Is this true? Will more be expected of me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Hello....i am a yr11 student in an ordinary state school, and i wish to move to the local grammar school for sixth form. However, people keep telling me that if i go to a grammar school uni's will expect higher grades from me. Like if i wanted to get onto a BBB course i would have to have BBB, where as some1 from a normal school might be allowed a BBC or BCC. Is this true? Will more be expected of me?
    Im at grammer school and Lancaster Uni asked me for BBB when the requirements are BBC.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Bristol and Edinburgh are the only 2 universities who have an official policy of taking into account your schools A level average when making offers/considering applications. Some depts in other uni's make the distinction too but it's unofficial and impossible to predict.

If you think you would be happier/do better at the grammer then it's worth going for it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why they would ask you for higher grades when you can get an equally proficient education at a Comprehensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I don't know why they would ask you for higher grades when you can get an equally proficient education at a Comprehensive.

not always.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    not always.

love Katy ***
    Very true, I know many people who know they perform better at a grammar than they would do at a comprehensive simply because of the atmosphere of the school.

(Original post by Ralfskini)
    Im at grammer school and Lancaster Uni asked me for BBB when the requirements are BBC.
    For what subject? I went to an ordinary comp and got a BBB offer for English at Lancaster (went to Birmingham in the end though and their offer was AAB)

(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Very true, I know many people who know they perform better at a grammar than they would do at a comprehensive simply because of the atmosphere of the school.
    Research shows that the brightest students (i.e. the real high flyers comprising top 2%) actually achieve more highly at comps than at grammars.

ReputationRep:
    Research shows that the brightest students (i.e. the real high flyers comprising top 2%) actually achieve more highly at comps than at grammars.
    But a lot of them aren't a comps and are probably greatful for it.

But a lot of them aren't a comps and are probably greatful for it.
    Most of the highest achievers are at comps as there are only 164 grammars in England! For those students who are at grammars and are borderline (i.e. top 23 - 28%), they tend to achieve more highly at grammars than comps. One of our local grammars who were 'ofsteded' had none who were in the top 2% - they went to the local excellent comp instead where they knew they would do better out of it. You really must stop thinking that grammars provide the best education for their students as this is not always the case.

You really must stop thinking that grammars provide the best education for their students as this is not always the case.
    but pretty much always is...

i know that if i'd gone to a comp i would have got ABBB max whereas at my grammar school i got AAAA simply because of the competitive atmosphere

i know that if i'd gone to a comp i would have got ABBB max whereas at my grammar school i got AAAA simply because of the competitive atmosphere
    You have no way of knowing that for a fact - you were made to believe that this is what would would have happened. This is how grammars try to justify their existence. Don't forget that at comps the students are streamed according to ability so those who are in the top 25% are taught together as in grammars and the element of competition is there also. To think otherwise is erroneous.

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of people who just prefer to be in a grammar, where everyone is of the top ability in the area.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the highest achievers are at comps as there are only 164 grammars in England! For those students who are at grammars and are borderline (i.e. top 23 - 28%), they tend to achieve more highly at grammars than comps. One of our local grammars who were 'ofsteded' had none who were in the top 2% - they went to the local excellent comp instead where they knew they would do better out of it. You really must stop thinking that grammars provide the best education for their students as this is not always the case.
    Don't forget, generally grammars have the best teachers as life is a lot easier for a grammar teacher so once they go to a grammar, they don't want to go back to a comp.

ReputationRep:

I can't help agreeing with this...

Though at a state school, certain subjects, where the best were put together in sets, usually yielded higher marks for me. For example, History - not exactly a strong topic for a computer scientist, but because of the competition (and partly due to the teacher constantly demanding that you HAVE to do better than your peers) I got A* for it, and almost full makrs in each paper. I would never have done that if the competition wasn't there.

Oh well, just my 2p's worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icarus)

Though at a state school, certain subjects, where the best were put together in sets, usually yielded higher marks for me. For example, History - not exactly a strong topic for a computer scientist, but because of the competition (and partly due to the teacher constantly demanding that you HAVE to do better than your peers) I got A* for it, and almost full makrs in each paper. I would never have done that if the competition wasn't there.

Exactly, there is school-wide competiton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icarus)

I have absolutly no competition at my Comp and I could get an A*.

Anyway, I do think Grammar School Students should be expected more of by Uni. The better education is there (in most cases) and so the student should've been expected to take it. At Comp there is some kind of education and there is little pressure in deciding whether you want to take it or not, the teachers really don't care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    I have absolutly no competition at my Comp and I could get an A*.

Anyway, I do think Grammar School Students should be expected more of by Uni. The better education is there (in most cases) and so the student should've been expected to take it. At Comp there is some kind of education and there is little pressure in deciding whether you want to take it or not, the teachers really don't care.
    But not everyone is a motivated as you obviously are, ans so need a competitive environment. You believe grammars do give a better education?

ReputationRep:
    But not everyone is a motivated as you obviously are, ans so need a competitive environment. You believe grammars do give a better education?
    Hmm, yeah I think so.

I think in Comp. Schools you'll find probably two in every class of 30 that are serious about learning and try hard. I think that is pretty poor and then the rest just want to piss about and then the teachers think 'Oh well the whole class doesn't care, so what's the point of teaching them properly?'. I am guessing that there are more people who want to learn in grammar schools and it isn't so abnormal to want to learn.

I do believe that many Grammar School students fall into traps such as giving up when they aren't the best or thinking they are safe because they are in a school which educates them well.

What do you think? Are you at Comp. or Grammar School?

Don't forget that at comps the students are streamed according to ability so those who are in the top 25% are taught together as in grammars and the element of competition is there also. To think otherwise is erroneous.
    no i understand that small amounts of pupils at comps will be pushed and people *can* do very well, i'd personally respect more someone who got BBB from a comp where like only 23% of people get 5 A-C gcses against someone who got AAAAAA etc from a grammar or a private school. that said many people at grammars *do* work just as hard as others but i think they really can benefit individuals such as myself who are..lazy really.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.