The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton Undergrad Accom Recommendations

Hi!

I have put Southampton as my firm choice and look forward to hopefully attending later this year. I have chronic migraines and feel it would be best for me to have my own private enclosed space to minimise unnecessary flare-ups during my studies. However after creating a student accommodation application I can't seem to find the studio apartment application, can anyone let me know if it is possible to apply for a studio apartment as a first year undergrad student?

If so, is there any guarantee that if I meet my conditional offer I will be assigned one due to my health conditions? I reached out to the uni itself and haven't received a response regarding this.

Also which accommodations would anyone recommend? I'm supposed to be studying finance so I'll be based on the Highfield campus and would prefer to live nearby.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi!
I have put Southampton as my firm choice and look forward to hopefully attending later this year. I have chronic migraines and feel it would be best for me to have my own private enclosed space to minimise unnecessary flare-ups during my studies. However after creating a student accommodation application I can't seem to find the studio apartment application, can anyone let me know if it is possible to apply for a studio apartment as a first year undergrad student?
If so, is there any guarantee that if I meet my conditional offer I will be assigned one due to my health conditions? I reached out to the uni itself and haven't received a response regarding this.
Also which accommodations would anyone recommend? I'm supposed to be studying finance so I'll be based on the Highfield campus and would prefer to live nearby.
Thanks in advance!

Hi, I was a first year at Seton about 3 years ago. You can definitely apply for a studio but maybe the priority goes to mature students with families? I remember when I applied there was an option to select a quiet flat for people who are not as outgoing so I definitely recommend ticking that. My shared flat were so loud and messy that I ended up leaving halls a semester early and moved into private accommodation for second year.
I stayed in mayflower which was a bit of trek and found myself often not going to campus but you do get a free first year bus pass. I would recommend something in glen eyre/chamberlin, they do en-suite rooms and are a bit pricey but should give you enough privacy. Alternatively, you can look at private halls, they might be a bit pricier but they might have something that suits your needs.

Definitely reach out to the accommodation team again or check there is a phone number for you to call. they should definitely be able to cater your needs because you have medical evidence.

Hope that helps :smile:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by lapinacolada
Hi, I was a first year at Seton about 3 years ago. You can definitely apply for a studio but maybe the priority goes to mature students with families? I remember when I applied there was an option to select a quiet flat for people who are not as outgoing so I definitely recommend ticking that. My shared flat were so loud and messy that I ended up leaving halls a semester early and moved into private accommodation for second year.
I stayed in mayflower which was a bit of trek and found myself often not going to campus but you do get a free first year bus pass. I would recommend something in glen eyre/chamberlin, they do en-suite rooms and are a bit pricey but should give you enough privacy. Alternatively, you can look at private halls, they might be a bit pricier but they might have something that suits your needs.
Definitely reach out to the accommodation team again or check there is a phone number for you to call. they should definitely be able to cater your needs because you have medical evidence.
Hope that helps :smile:

thanks for your reply! can I ask how you found your experience at Southampton and if you liked the city? I didn't have the chance to look around the city when I was there last so was just curious if the city centre/night life was any good?
Original post by Anonymous
thanks for your reply! can I ask how you found your experience at Southampton and if you liked the city? I didn't have the chance to look around the city when I was there last so was just curious if the city centre/night life was any good?

It really depends on the person that you are. I know some people who had the time of their life at uni and were very extroverted and social. Me on the other hand found it a bit meh, but I loved my course and school so I definitely don't regret it and will look back on it fondly.

The city is rather dull, not going to lie. but luckily it's connected to major cities by train so you can leave it if you ever feel bored. Theres a lot of wildlife parks around but unfortunately, you need to drive to them. Don't be fooled, its may be on the coast but its not a coastal city, rather a more depressing port. Can get to Brighton by driving or train. theres a few beaches around that you can drive to within 30mins-1hr.

Nightlife is quite good ngl. the clubs in the city are quite busy and fun during earlier months in the semester, really quiet second semester. there is a nightclub called jesters where student swears by. its not like a nice club but its student club that has the vibes. also most societies, especially sports are heavy on the drinking and going out so if you join a society you'll definitely get a chance to make friends. I went just after covid so my cohort was quite secluded so all my friends are from societies I joined.

People are really nice, haven't met anyone that I thought to be rude. the housing/landlord situation is very iffy so I recommend looking into asap to try and not find one where you're going to get ripped off. Would not recommend istudentlettings and whatever you do, don't go with posh pad. I'd say student hub and SUSU are very good at handling complaints and concerns and they do look out for their students.

overall, I'd give the whole experience 7/8 out of 10. then again its down to what sort of person you are, and I can't compare to other unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending