The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan is not enough to cover rent, what are my options?

I'm a second year back at Leicester in September, the first year I decided to just live at home and commute because it was cheaper, and I was curious about what It'd be like.
Fast forward to now, reapplying for student finance, my loan last year came in at around the mid 3k range, and despite being in accommodation this year (Yes I got approved for it) my loan is now only around one thousand more?

Currently sitting here completely stressed out, what the hell do I do? Is it possible on evaluation they might add more considering I'll be in accommodation and the system just didn't recognise that? I'm planning to work over summer but I don't think I can get enough to pay the rent for the year yet alone buy food, I'm not exactly in an upper class or hell even middle class family so I'm practically screwed!
Reply 1
Original post by JamesB2375
I'm a second year back at Leicester in September, the first year I decided to just live at home and commute because it was cheaper, and I was curious about what It'd be like.
Fast forward to now, reapplying for student finance, my loan last year came in at around the mid 3k range, and despite being in accommodation this year (Yes I got approved for it) my loan is now only around one thousand more?
Currently sitting here completely stressed out, what the hell do I do? Is it possible on evaluation they might add more considering I'll be in accommodation and the system just didn't recognise that? I'm planning to work over summer but I don't think I can get enough to pay the rent for the year yet alone buy food, I'm not exactly in an upper class or hell even middle class family so I'm practically screwed!

Don’t panic, is the first thought.
SFE should pick this up.

Also, Look up on the uni website and apply for any university hardship bursaries or scholarships you’re entitled to. Go to see the uni finance advisors, who may have further ideas.
There may also be external scholarships you can apply for.

Is your family giving you the parental contribution which the government assumes you will have?
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loan-parental-contribution-tool/

If not, you need to see if family can help, even with a small amount.
(edited 2 months ago)

It sounds like you have been awarded the minimum loan. Did you submit evidence of household income and apply for the higher maintenance loan? If no, then you need to do this. If yes, then your parents are expected to make up the shortfall.

Hi @JamesB2375

I am sorry to hear you are stressed out about next year and managing living costs.

Firstly, the university offers a lot of support for many students in your situation. I would encourage you to get in contact with Student Welfare Service who offer support for practical and personal issues including finance, housing and more. You will find their contact details on here and can book an online or in person appointment to speak to someone about your worries and concerns.

Secondly, there is University of Leicester Scholarship which you can speak to admissions team and receive support all three years you are at the university if you are eligible. I believe there is still a chance for you to receive this support for this year, so I would urge you to contact them as soon as possible.

Thirdly, there are many job roles that the university offers their students. Those jobs can vary from student ambassador to union ambassador. Always keep an eye on these websites which share more information on the recruitment process and how to apply for a job:

Jobs at Leicester
Part time Jobs
Employability

Contact careers hub at the university that will support to find you a suitable part job you can do whilst studying, there many flexible jobs which you can apply for.

Hope this helped, please try not to worry and get in contact as soon as you can to get some advice and know what you can do differently before next year 🙂

Sumayyah
Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience
My understanding is that everyone is awarded the minimum to begin with and then this is supplemented a couple of weeks after if eligible.

Quick Reply