The Student Room Group

Is this it? 9-5

I finished my GCSEs, went to college, graduated from uni and now I’m working a 9-5 job. Is this it? I’ve got hobbies and travel but I can’t believe that I went through all that for this outcome. Low-key depressing and anxiety inducing. Am I the only one? I even worked so hard to get a job that I thought I’ll be happy with
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I finished my GCSEs, went to college, graduated from uni and now I’m working a 9-5 job. Is this it? I’ve got hobbies and travel but I can’t believe that I went through all that for this outcome. Low-key depressing and anxiety inducing. Am I the only one? I even worked so hard to get a job that I thought I’ll be happy with

You sound bored out of your mind.
I don’t know your circumstances (mortgages, children etc), but is it time to move if possible? Change of country, employer, location, responsibilities, or take on further training?

I moved laterally and vertically multiple times, building on my core qualifications. Sometimes I took further qualifications (quite often my employer paid), sometimes changed role, Sometimes I moved location but not role. Sometimes I took on innovative projects within work. Sometimes I changed hours and used the time differently.

Sometimes I took on new hobbies or activities, including volunteering.

I did this every time I felt a lack of satisfaction, until I had family, and even then I still managed changes.
The variety gives you a boost and a direction.

It’s always anxiety-provoking to move, but ultimately worth it.

Quick Reply