The Student Room Group

Considering change

Hi, so I’m currently 22 and in my first year of an apprenticeship in engineering, I like my current job that I’m in but really don’t like my course and I’m not performing well, the course is only going to get harder throughout the end of this year and the next 2 years. I’ve been offered a job separate from the apprenticeship working with installations and repairs of fitness centres which involves travel and considerably more money than I am on now. I think it’s a great opportunity and I think it’s a job I would enjoy doing plus the no stress about not performing in my apprenticeship as I learn much better by doing.

This new job is in a rapidly growing fitness centre so I think it could lead to an even better job in the long run. You’re probably wondering what the issue is.
My mother is completely against this saying that I never finish anything even though I’m just trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. She says I’m only thinking about the short term money and that I should stay where I am. She felt the same way when I started the apprenticeship but has since told me I was right for choosing this path.

In my opinion I don’t think it was even a waste of time doing this year as an apprentice because the reason I’ve been offered this new job is based of the skills and training I’ve gotten in the last year.

Do you think I’m right for leaving my apprenticeship to get a job that I’m interested in won’t be stressing out all the time about not doing well in my course or should I stay where I am?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending