The Student Room Group

A-Level Chemistry Question

Can someone help me out? I'm sure it's straightforward I just can't figure it out:

In the production of 5g of bromine, what volume of chlorine is required at RTP? Give your answer to 2 s.f. and in dm3. The volume of one mole of gas at room temperature and pressume is 24dm3.

Thanks!!
Reply 1
Original post by mai0may
Can someone help me out? I'm sure it's straightforward I just can't figure it out:
In the production of 5g of bromine, what volume of chlorine is required at RTP? Give your answer to 2 s.f. and in dm3. The volume of one mole of gas at room temperature and pressume is 24dm3.
Thanks!!

BTW I have the answer, which is 0.75dm3, I just can't figure out how to get to it
Reply 2
Original post by mai0may
BTW I have the answer, which is 0.75dm3, I just can't figure out how to get to it

Are you sure this is A level? Because they've given far too many details for this to be A level.

work out moles of Br2, which is 5/160. The moles of chorine will have to be the same as bromine.

5/160 * 24 will produce your answer.

I think this is more GCSE than A level.
Reply 3
Original post by vnayak
Are you sure this is A level? Because they've given far too many details for this to be A level.
work out moles of Br2, which is 5/160. The moles of chorine will have to be the same as bromine.
5/160 * 24 will produce your answer.
I think this is more GCSE than A level.

Oh!! Thank you, I was just using 80 as the Mr not 160 lol

It’s a question from the A-Level OCR B Salters textbook 🙂 thanks again!
Reply 4
Original post by mai0may
Oh!! Thank you, I was just using 80 as the Mr not 160 lol
It’s a question from the A-Level OCR B Salters textbook 🙂 thanks again!

Makes me wish I was doing OCR icl....I'm AQA.

yeah, bromine is diatomic.

To remember diatomic elements, remember this:

Have - Hydrogen
No - Nitrogen
Fear - Fluorine
Of - Oxygen
Ice - Iodine
Cold - Chlorine
Beer - Bromine.

Quick Reply