The Student Room Group

Bath engineering

How is the University of Bath for engineering?
How well-known and respected is the uni in engineering?
How much will not going to Imperial or Cambridge affect job opportunities in aerospace engineering?
What are the tutorials like at Bath?
What are the lectures like and how are the lecturers?
Are the engineering societies at Bath really that good, and how much time do they take up if you want to join multiple?
How supportive are the lecturers at Bath?
What kind of people attend Bath for engineering, i.e are they generally hard working?
How are the facilities and labs at Bath?
Is it worth doing a Phd in spacecraft engineering if I am passionate about it?
Original post by thatoneadi
How much will not going to Imperial or Cambridge affect job opportunities in aerospace engineering?
Are the engineering societies at Bath really that good, and how much time do they take up if you want to join multiple?
What kind of people attend Bath for engineering, i.e are they generally hard working?
Bath is very well respected in engineering & has an excellent reputation, it’s department generally I think has a slightly stronger reputation in propulsion and automotive research but generally it’s engineering graduates are considered to be very good.

Generally I don’t think job opportunities will be significantly lower than Oxbridge or Imperial at the undergraduate level. Aerospace does often hire more PhDs and in aerospace research there are universities with bigger departments (but if you want to pursue a PhD in aerospace technologies you won’t be constrained to the same university you did your undergraduate studies at anyway - it’s probably more common to move for a PhD then stay where you did your MEng anyway).

Is it worth a PhD - this is something to start thinking about around your 3rd year of university really, if you do well academically at university and you do some “research” type projects and you enjoy them then it’s something to look at. Id focus on choosing the right undergraduate university for now.

I can’t answer all the detailed Bath questions but, it’s got a good reputation so I wouldn’t doubt the facilities, staff etc. are not all good.

Just think about what you want from a university and if Bath is what you’re looking for, it’s got a great engineering faculty but choosing a university (especially at undergraduate level) is worth considering more broadly what environment do you want, type of city you want to live in, where regionally in the UK, hobbies you have, cost of living…
Reply 2

I'd like to know about this all also
Reply 3
Bath is very well respected in engineering & has an excellent reputation, it’s department generally I think has a slightly stronger reputation in propulsion and automotive research but generally it’s engineering graduates are considered to be very good.
Generally I don’t think job opportunities will be significantly lower than Oxbridge or Imperial at the undergraduate level. Aerospace does often hire more PhDs and in aerospace research there are universities with bigger departments (but if you want to pursue a PhD in aerospace technologies you won’t be constrained to the same university you did your undergraduate studies at anyway - it’s probably more common to move for a PhD then stay where you did your MEng anyway).
Is it worth a PhD - this is something to start thinking about around your 3rd year of university really, if you do well academically at university and you do some “research” type projects and you enjoy them then it’s something to look at. Id focus on choosing the right undergraduate university for now.
I can’t answer all the detailed Bath questions but, it’s got a good reputation so I wouldn’t doubt the facilities, staff etc. are not all good.
Just think about what you want from a university and if Bath is what you’re looking for, it’s got a great engineering faculty but choosing a university (especially at undergraduate level) is worth considering more broadly what environment do you want, type of city you want to live in, where regionally in the UK, hobbies you have, cost of living…

Thanks for the detailed reply. Yeah i do want to pursue a PhD at a more reputable university too. I am asking this to see how the environment is there, one of the reasons I loved Imperial and Cambridge is because most people at those unis are academics, and I like to be surrounded by other academics, and I'm not sure other uni's are filled with academics with as high standards and passion. (sorry don't really want to sound like a snob, just is my whole life i've worked alongside and talked to such people)
Reply 4
Original post by Jdhehebe
I'd like to know about this all also

Are you going Bath too? XD
Reply 5
Are you going Bath too? XD

Yep just did my student finance for it! Going to firm it on ucas tomorrow I think
Thanks for the detailed reply. Yeah i do want to pursue a PhD at a more reputable university too. I am asking this to see how the environment is there, one of the reasons I loved Imperial and Cambridge is because most people at those unis are academics, and I like to be surrounded by other academics, and I'm not sure other uni's are filled with academics with as high standards and passion. (sorry don't really want to sound like a snob, just is my whole life i've worked alongside and talked to such people)

Well Bath is already a “reputable university” an academic is someone who works in academia so this is something all universities have. I think you mean people who are pushing themselves academically, by the time you reach a PhD everyone is doing this regardless of institution (and whilst id agree Oxbridge & imperial generally have a greater saturation of academic over achievers at A-level, performing well in academia is a different challenge (school academics are largely about understanding existing well understood knowledge, whereas academic research is about discovery and new knowledge so universities bring you on a pathway from the end of traditional learning to students who are curious and intellectually challenging material in new ways, this leads to a fundamentally different type of environment).
Hi! I'm currently studying Mechanical engineering at Bath.

How is the University of Bath for engineering? How well-known and respected is the uni in engineering? How much will not going to Imperial or Cambridge affect job opportunities in aerospace engineering?
Bath is a good university for engineering. From speaking to engineers in industry, it is known as a good university. Honestly, once you are looking at the top 10 universities in engineering, degree grade (1st, 2:1, 2:2) and other things you have done at university are more important.

What are the tutorials like at Bath? What are the lectures like and how are the lecturers? How supportive are the lecturers at Bath?
Engineering as a subject has a lot of contact hours - so you will be spending a lot of time on campus in lectures or in tutorials. I currently have 2 hours of lectures and an hour tutorial per topic (of which I have 5). In the subject tutorials, you ask questions about that week's question sheet or complete a weekly quiz. It varies from lecturer to lecture. You are expected to spend quite a bit of time outside of lectures consolidating your learning and completing coursework. All the lecturers I have had so far are very good and are very helpful if you need to email them. You will also get a personal tutor who is your port of call. If they can't help you they can definitely point you in the right direction.

The engineering societies such as Formula Student etc. are all really good. They are mainly aimed at older years but it is definitely worth getting involved early. I wouldn't try to take on too much as first year is very busy. Some groups are far more competitive to get into than others, such as Formula Student. Different groups also involve first years more than others.

I would say that they are hard working - although they definitely know how to have fun. Obviously there is quite a range of people and personalities - it is a big course. You will always get those people in a group project who slack but so far all my groups have been brilliant.

I would say they are really good. As part of first year, you get to manufacture an artefact using different techniques (machining, turning, CNC etc.) and all those facilities are great. It was also really good to learn those manufacturing methods as you know what you can and can't do with them when it comes to design. Each of the competition groups have their own area to work in. I know that we also have laser cutting and 3D printing facilities. There are far more than that, but as I am only in 1st year, and the lower levels (where all this stuff is) are a bit of a maze I haven't personally come across them.

Yes if you are passionate about it. But you have a few years to think about it :smile:

Quick Reply