The Student Room Group

finding vet work experience

Im really struggling to find work experience and I have tried contacting kennels, farms etc but they either reject me or don't reply. Im based in south london and would really appreciate some recommendations :smile:
Original post by icebear05
Im really struggling to find work experience and I have tried contacting kennels, farms etc but they either reject me or don't reply. Im based in south london and would really appreciate some recommendations :smile:
How many places have you contacted? You tend to need to contact a lot people before getting places. It is really hard. You might need to phone people if you dont get a response
Reply 2

I don’t have any specific recommendations but I have had a similar experience!
Not sure how exactly you’ve gone about it but here’s what I would suggest:

Contact as many places as possible that you could feasibly travel to- that should be quite a lot. You could use google maps to find places near you. You could try asking around to see if you know anyone who knows anyone who could help you out, although this can be difficult.
Emailing works but definitely try phoning up as well.
If you don’t get a reply don’t be afraid to follow up with another polite email- maybe a week or two after you sent your initial one? Lots of the places I contacted were very busy and so just hadn’t seen or got round to my initial email.
Sometimes you won’t get a reply to that either but I found sometimes people will reply after a follow up.

Good luck!
Reply 3
One of the best places I have found regarding farm work was to post on 'The Farming Forum'. I posted on there and had a multitude of offers and in a matter of days I found a placement, in Cumbria (i'm from Surrey, so you might need to be willing to travel) where they housed and fed me, while I helped lambing. Best few weeks I've had recently.

You could also try farming groups on Facebook too. I posted on there and got a number of replies too.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by Robyn.Eva
One of the best places I have found regarding farm work was to post on 'The Farming Forum'. I posted on there and had a multitude of offers and in a matter of days I found a placement, in Cumbria (i'm from Surrey, so you might need to be willing to travel) where they housed and fed me, while I helped lambing. Best few weeks I've had recently.
You could also try farming groups on Facebook too. I posted on there and got a number of replies too.
Hope this helps! :smile:

Adding onto this the national sheep association has a list of farms looking for help with lambing!
Reply 5
Original post by flamingolover
Adding onto this the national sheep association has a list of farms looking for help with lambing!

thank you all for your suggestions, I have contacted a lot more places and feel like I am too late. A lot of places say they are booked, I am feeling quite stressed as I want to get as much as experience before I hand in my UCAS. Any tips or guidance??
Reply 6
thank you all for your suggestions, I have contacted a lot more places and feel like I am too late. A lot of places say they are booked, I am feeling quite stressed as I want to get as much as experience before I hand in my UCAS. Any tips or guidance??

I guess all I can say is keep trying? Keep following up people who don’t respond to you.

Obviously vet practice experience is priority but if you’re struggling at the end of the day any work experience dealing with members of the public is beneficial.
Don’t forget that there is an online work experience course (the Vet Med MOOC) and that many unis say that they’re understanding of people who find it difficult to find work experience.

Best of luck

Most lambing is either booked or done now. Can you give me the first part of your post code/area so I can have a look? Have you been rejected from places or just not gotten responses. What experience have you had so far?
Reply 8
ill privately messaged you, i have contacted a few farms and I do have work experience for a small one in the summer. I also volunteer at my local riding centre

Quick Reply