The Student Room Group

Have I done enough for my Computer Science UCAS Personal Statement?

I will have to complete my first draft of my UCAS personal statement soon. Here are things that I've done that I will/may mention in my PS:
-An extracurricular ~3 month programming challenge run by the ESA, to develop a program in python that calculates the speed of ISS
-Started CS50's Introduction to Computer Science MOOC
-Started an online course to self-teach discrete maths
-Ongoing online Udemy course in C++ (finished 1 unit atm)
-Experimented with 2D games development in Unity (only developed a replica of Pong though tbh)
-Read a book on the history of computer science & the Digital Revolution, in which I learned inspiring information & concepts regarding computing ('The Innovators' by Walter Isaacson)
-I intend on starting a MOOC on programming AI using python
-I might find work experience in a related IT field over the summer
-Dedicated time towards hobbies alongside academia
-Week-long work experience at a charity shop in Year 10
-Silver award in UKMT (Year 11)
-Gold award in BPhO (Year 11)

I would highly appreciate feedback on what other things I can reasonably do over the next few months to improve my PS, and whether all of these things are worth mentioning.at all.
Reply 1
Original post by AnRaz1
I will have to complete my first draft of my UCAS personal statement soon. Here are things that I've done that I will/may mention in my PS:
-An extracurricular ~3 month programming challenge run by the ESA, to develop a program in python that calculates the speed of ISS
-Experimented with 2D games development in Unity (only developed a replica of Pong though tbh)
-Read a book on the history of computer science & the Digital Revolution, in which I learned inspiring information & concepts regarding computing ('The Innovators' by Walter Isaacson)
I would highly appreciate feedback on what other things I can reasonably do over the next few months to improve my PS, and whether all of these things are worth mentioning.at all.

These sound good and I think it would be more than enough to fill your personal statement. Don't forget you want quality (going into a bit of depth) over quantity (where you just end up listing the things you've done without any links ot what skills you've drawn from it or how it engages you with the subject).
Original post by AnRaz1

Hey there,

It sounds like you've been making great progress with your extracurricular activities and self-learning initiatives! Here are a few suggestions to further enhance your UCAS personal statement:

Consider highlighting specific skills or insights gained from each activity, demonstrating your passion for computer science and your commitment to continuous learning.

Emphasize any leadership roles, teamwork experiences, or challenges overcome during your projects or courses.

Showcase how your diverse interests and experiences have contributed to your personal and academic growth, reinforcing your suitability for a computer science degree.

Seek opportunities for additional work experience or volunteering in IT-related fields to further enrich your CV and personal statement.

Remember to keep your personal statement concise and focused, highlighting your key achievements and aspirations while demonstrating your enthusiasm for computer science.

Best of luck with your UCAS application process!

Best Regards,
Arslan University of Salford Student Representative

Quick Reply