The Student Room Group

Returning Placement vs New Grad differences at Big 4?

I'm about to start a placement with EY in audit this summer for 12 months and had a few questions about possibly returning assuming an offer.

Does this year count towards the required 3 years of ACA?

Does a returning placement student technically start in year 2 or the same as a new grad e.g. is pay higher or any other benefits?

Would you be more likely for promotion faster?

Any help or knowledge of the benefits of being a returning placement/intern compared to a new grad would be great. Thanks!
I'm about to start a placement with EY in audit this summer for 12 months and had a few questions about possibly returning assuming an offer.
Does this year count towards the required 3 years of ACA?
Does a returning placement student technically start in year 2 or the same as a new grad e.g. is pay higher or any other benefits?
Would you be more likely for promotion faster?
Any help or knowledge of the benefits of being a returning placement/intern compared to a new grad would be great. Thanks!
I can't comment on the difference between returning placement students and fresh grads from the ACA perspective, but from my knowledge of other finance and consulting firms, you're treated exactly the same. You simply all join the graduate cohort together, you're on the same pay.

In terms of the advantages/benefits of being a returning placement student vs a fresh grad, there are some soft ones. As I said, there aren't the hard benefits like better pay or going in as a second year grad, etc. But starting a new job/role at a new firm isn't easy, and returning placements already know lots of people, the firm culture, the systems & processes - which is a big advantage. Therefore, it's easier to hit the ground running.

While being a returning placement student doesn't mean you're inherently more likely to be promoted earlier, the notion that you can get up to speed quickly and already know lots of people well, is an advantage that can possibly be a contributing factor in early promotion. In my experience, the work-related benefits from doing a placement (i.e. being better at their job) vs a fresh grad, fade fairly quickly, but the social benefits are quite persistent.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply