The Student Room Group

Criminology work experience

Hi! I’m a year 12 student starting to think about writing my personal statement in June, I hope to study criminology at uni but I’m finding it hard to find work experience related to the subject. I’ve tried local law firms (over 15) which have all said no due to staff working at home. Does anyone have any ideas for a 16 year old??
Original post by Matildas22
Hi! I’m a year 12 student starting to think about writing my personal statement in June, I hope to study criminology at uni but I’m finding it hard to find work experience related to the subject. I’ve tried local law firms (over 15) which have all said no due to staff working at home. Does anyone have any ideas for a 16 year old??

If law firms now have all their staff home working since covid it will be difficult to get work experience. It probably wont matter as work experience wont be an issue for your course.
You dont need any 'work experience' for Criminology - and it wont help you get a Uni place.
You just need to be able to show in your PS that you have an interest in Sociology with an emphasis on deviancy/crime.

Some time spent on these Moocs over the summer would be relevant/useful for your PS
Introduction to Criminology - Criminology Course - FutureLearn
From Crime to Punishment - Online Course - FutureLearn
Incarceration: Are prisons a suitable punishment? - FutureLearn Course
You may also find some relevant topics in these 'Law in Action' podcasts - BBC Radio 4 - Law in Action - Available now
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
You dont need any 'work experience' for Criminology - and it wont help you get a Uni place.
You just need to be able to show in your PS that you have an interest in Sociology with an emphasis on deviancy/crime.
Some time spent on these Moocs over the summer would be relevant/useful for your PS
Introduction to Criminology - Criminology Course - FutureLearn
From Crime to Punishment - Online Course - FutureLearn
Incarceration: Are prisons a suitable punishment? - FutureLearn Course
You may also find some relevant topics in these 'Law in Action' podcasts - BBC Radio 4 - Law in Action - Available now

Thank you so much that’s really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending