The Student Room Group

Informal AHRC DTP Offer

Hello,

I received an informal studentship offer today from my preferred DTP (great news!). I have accepted, but as the offer is informal, I feel a bit on edge about things falling through as the formal documents won't come through for the next couple of weeks. The issue is I have another offer from another DTP, which I need to reject ASAP in the interests of being fair on all involved and the next person on that reserve list. I just feel nervous about doing so before a binding contract is formed with my preferred option.
Has anyone been in this situation who could advise? I appreciate it's a great problem to have. Is an informal offer still official?
Original post by historygorilla
Hello,
I received an informal studentship offer today from my preferred DTP (great news!). I have accepted, but as the offer is informal, I feel a bit on edge about things falling through as the formal documents won't come through for the next couple of weeks. The issue is I have another offer from another DTP, which I need to reject ASAP in the interests of being fair on all involved and the next person on that reserve list. I just feel nervous about doing so before a binding contract is formed with my preferred option.
Has anyone been in this situation who could advise? I appreciate it's a great problem to have. Is an informal offer still official?

Congratulations on your offer !!!
I am also a recipient of the award. If I may, what do you mean by an informal and formal offer?
An offer in contract is always formal and your acceptance seals up the offer. If DTP attached an award letter to the email you received and the Acceptance form is further signed and returned by you, I see no reason why you should be in doubt.
Original post by bibian-claire
Congratulations on your offer !!!
I am also a recipient of the award. If I may, what do you mean by an informal and formal offer?
An offer in contract is always formal and your acceptance seals up the offer. If DTP attached an award letter to the email you received and the Acceptance form is further signed and returned by you, I see no reason why you should be in doubt.

Hi, it’s an informal offer in the sense they advised me I was successful and would send the official letter in the next couple of weeks once I confirmed my intention to accept (which I did). I imagine they just didn’t want to prepare paperwork for people who would go elsewhere.
Original post by historygorilla
Hi, it’s an informal offer in the sense they advised me I was successful and would send the official letter in the next couple of weeks once I confirmed my intention to accept (which I did). I imagine they just didn’t want to prepare paperwork for people who would go elsewhere.
Yeah, makes perfect sense. What DTP is that (if I may)
Original post by bibian-claire
Yeah, makes perfect sense. What DTP is that (if I may)

It’s techne. Thing is I need to reject Sgsah as well as was offered that. Maybe I’m overthinking it but I’m just nervous about missing out completely as I don’t have the formal offer from techne yet, even if it is official. A great problem to have I guess
Original post by historygorilla
It’s techne. Thing is I need to reject Sgsah as well as was offered that. Maybe I’m overthinking it but I’m just nervous about missing out completely as I don’t have the formal offer from techne yet, even if it is official. A great problem to have I guess

I understand your dilemma. Mine is AHRC Midlands4Cities. I received an email with an attachment of both my Award letter and an Acceptance form. After I signed the acceptance form and emailed it back, I got a confirmation almost immediately. I don’t know if this was the same procedure you followed.
I believe you have a deadline to accept or reject your second award, maybe you can wait a lot longer before making your decision.
Original post by bibian-claire
I understand your dilemma. Mine is AHRC Midlands4Cities. I received an email with an attachment of both my Award letter and an Acceptance form. After I signed the acceptance form and emailed it back, I got a confirmation almost immediately. I don’t know if this was the same procedure you followed.
I believe you have a deadline to accept or reject your second award, maybe you can wait a lot longer before making your decision.

Ah congrats on your offer! I know I defo want techne and they confirmed receipt of my acceptance. I just want everything signed in a way before rejecting everything else. It just doesn’t feel fair on the Sgsah supervisors and the next person on that reserve list to wait too long either. Basically, the Techne offer is official but nothing to sign yet
Original post by historygorilla
Ah congrats on your offer! I know I defo want techne and they confirmed receipt of my acceptance. I just want everything signed in a way before rejecting everything else. It just doesn’t feel fair on the Sgsah supervisors and the next person on that reserve list to wait too long either. Basically, the Techne offer is official but nothing to sign yet

Thank you. I wish someone with experience can come to your aid in solving this. Best of luck 🤞😊.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending