The Student Room Group

History edexcel Alevel

Does anyone know an A* or A level structure for the essays in the edexcel history exams, because i'm stuck on a B/A and I really would like to be secure on an A.
Any help would be great!!!!
Original post by alyssa.baird
Does anyone know an A* or A level structure for the essays in the edexcel history exams, because i'm stuck on a B/A and I really would like to be secure on an A.
Any help would be great!!!!

It's typically not structure that separates an A from an A*. Firstly, it's the level of detail. As an examiner, one can see the "wow factor" in that this candidate really knows her stuff. More importantly, however, is argumentation. Are you driving an argument? Are you explaining why you believe what you believe.
Original post by McKerrow_History
It's typically not structure that separates an A from an A*. Firstly, it's the level of detail. As an examiner, one can see the "wow factor" in that this candidate really knows her stuff. More importantly, however, is argumentation. Are you driving an argument? Are you explaining why you believe what you believe.

I feel like i'm doing this though, but my teachers keep giving me the same marks. Is it referring back to the question or my argument after each point, that I'm supposed to be doing or something different?
I feel like i'm doing this though, but my teachers keep giving me the same marks. Is it referring back to the question or my argument after each point, that I'm supposed to be doing or something different?

I'd have to see a question and an answer to help.
I'd have to see a question and an answer to help.

I will send one later on if that's okay :smile:
17145825354391858053191495208334.jpg
17145825609526306364832830033826.jpg
17145825867104903057867713145315.jpg
17145826183413646176511789148724.jpg This is one of my Italy essays as an example

I have a question! So I keep getting feedback that I need to put in criteria but how do I do this? Like I struggle with criteria a lot and judgement. Could you give any advice?
Original post by RevisionisKey1
I have a question! So I keep getting feedback that I need to put in criteria but how do I do this? Like I struggle with criteria a lot and judgement. Could you give any advice?

I found for criteria that I need to figure out what I'm arguing (whether or not I agree with the question) and then picking out why I think this e.g. is it the longevity or the scale (this could be for opposition) or maybe the impact on the population (effectiveness (this for economic policies for example)) and then embedding that every time I make a point. For example I could say that the fall of the Weimar Republic was due to the opposition as a result of the poor economy because of the longevity of poor conditions and the impact on the people. Rather than the fall of the Weimar Republic was due to opposition to the Treaty of Versailles as this didn't have as big of an impact on the people because so many still chose to vote (show of support).
Is this okay?
I found for criteria that I need to figure out what I'm arguing (whether or not I agree with the question) and then picking out why I think this e.g. is it the longevity or the scale (this could be for opposition) or maybe the impact on the population (effectiveness (this for economic policies for example)) and then embedding that every time I make a point. For example I could say that the fall of the Weimar Republic was due to the opposition as a result of the poor economy because of the longevity of poor conditions and the impact on the people. Rather than the fall of the Weimar Republic was due to opposition to the Treaty of Versailles as this didn't have as big of an impact on the people because so many still chose to vote (show of support).
Is this okay?

That’s awesome yea, thanks. What about like judgement?
Original post by RevisionisKey1
That’s awesome yea, thanks. What about like judgement?

Mmh for this I'd just say make sure you have a solid answer and stick to it. Always draw back to it after every paragraph and bring it all together in the conclusion. Using my earlier example I would just do paragraph 1 (whatever... usually answering the question) and then say However, it can be said that the fall of the Weimar Republic was due to the poor economy... and then back it up with evidence (e.g. more people turned to radical parties after they great depression (shown in increase of votes for KPD and Nazis) this evidences the fact that the reason for the fall of the Weimar Republic cannot be... (whatever the paragraph was about.)
I do that for all my paragraphs essentially with different evidence every time... or u can even use evidence against the point you were making e.g if P1 was about the treaty of Versailles u could end it with saying although this caused discontent, the issues the Treaty of Versaille created were somewhat solved with the Dawes and Young Plan for example, so therefore this cannot be the factor that resulted in the fall of the Weimar Republic (WR).
So yeh do that at the end of all paragraphs (which also doubles as analysis tbh) and then in your conclusion use the previous points made to make a final judgment. So say because of this, this and this the Treaty of Versailles cannot have cause the fall of the WR. Therefore economic issues must've been the prime factor because of...
So essentially explicitly saying why the main factor is your main factor and why and why the other factors aren't.
Also my teachers always say lead with criteria and analyse the whole way through the paragraph and then end with judgment (whether or not this is the main factor and why)
Idk if that makes sense... sorry if not, I can try and explain it better

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending