The Student Room Group

Will Year 14 affect university applications?

Year 12, I am studying A-Level English Literature, A-Level Media Studies and BTEC Sport + EPQ. I want to switch out Sport for A-Level Philosophy but that would mean sitting that A-Level exam separately in Year 14.

Will this severely affect my university applications?

(My goal is to study law at a Russel Group Uni)

(Bad Subject combination Ik but at first I didn’t want to go to uni and sport was a hobby)
(edited 1 month ago)
no it won't severly impact your application- you will be behind of your year but you'll have time to work on your application (get skills, work experience etc) but is this something you have actually considered? because you can do law with pretty much any subject and dont really need to switch
Reply 2
Original post by studyingsam
no it won't severly impact your application- you will be behind of your year but you'll have time to work on your application (get skills, work experience etc) but is this something you have actually considered? because you can do law with pretty much any subject and dont really need to switch

I have been considering swapping BTEC Sport for a while now. I no longer enjoy it whatsoever, the class and teachers are bad, plus it does not work well with my other subjects.

My main concern is whether starting Philosophy in Year 13 will violate a lot of universities’ resit policies, as I would have to finish each A-Level in two years (which would work out) but my total time in sixth form would be three years instead of two.
I am currently a Year 14 student, I decided not to sit my exams last year following an extended period off due to external circumstances. I'm not planning on going into a competitive university, but when I got to the end of last year, I told my two university choices that I would not be doing my A-Levels this year and I asked for a deferral request which they both denied. I'm assuming they both denied since I didn't sit any exams at all last year so they had nothing to grade me on, if that makes sense? Are you planning on sitting any exams at the end of Yr13? If so, I genuinely think it wouldn't affect you if you stayed on an extra year. You could always email them about it next year or even talk to them about it at open days/offer holder days next year. It affected me since I didn't do my exams so I had to resubmit a UCAS application but honestly, that wasn't the end of the world for me. Hope this helps!
You don't need A level Philosophy to read Law, and having an A level / Btec combo wont be an issue either even for top Unis like Bristol, Southampton etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending