The Student Room Group

further reading for vet med

Does anyone have any recommendations for further reading for people who are interested in studying vet med at uni? websites, books, news articles, documentaries, anything.

Thank you
The free online courses, “virtual work experience” by Nottingham and Edivet courses by Edinburgh. There is a not too expensive basic anatomy and physiology book by Aspinall which I feel could be a nice bridge between A Level biology and first year vet med, but don’t feel pressured to purchase anything (I’m sure you could get it cheaper second hand too). For articles look on BVA, VetTimes etc. Joining social media groups to get a feel for “lingo” and typical owners etc is good too, e.g. on FB groups like pet/exotics vet corner, the lambing club, ladies who lamb, chit chat and tack etc, and there are lots of good veterinary accounts on Instagram and tiktok and the like. I do feel like while all these are good to do in some spare time (the book could wait until after you apply in fairness) nothing really replaces actually doing practical work experience though.
Original post by florverc
Does anyone have any recommendations for further reading for people who are interested in studying vet med at uni? websites, books, news articles, documentaries, anything.
Thank you

Hi, I’m a prospective medic but I do know of a scheme ran alongside the organisation Medic Mentor. It’s called Vet Mentor. It offers free veterinary virtual work experience in a variety of fields, as well as recordings of webinars and lectures.
In regards to pre-reading, the Medic Mentor student/contributing magazine is mostly medicine based, but there are a few veterinary articles here and there written by other prospective students or vets. If you are interested in it then Personal message me on this platform and I can send you a sample magazine.

Quick Reply